New DIY Multi-Drive Pedal

What's Hot
dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
edited March 2015 in Making & Modding
I've built a couple of effects boxes over the years, and inspired by various threads on here I placed an order to Musicdink in Germany just after Christmas. A couple of weeks later this lot arrived

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/FullSizeRender_zps18c5e977.jpg

After many hours of soldering and much head scratching, I had made this rats nest

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/FullSizeRender_zpsec675769.jpg

then I drilled my enclosure

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/FullSizeRender_zps6c41f889.jpg

and proceeded to paint it with some car paint and a couple of coats of lacquer. Because I'd managed to get it working, I simply installed (ie crammed) it into the enclosure without bothering to tidy up the wiring. I was worried that If I did I'd manage to break something. Now it looks like this

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/FullSizeRender_zps4fdddb5c.jpg

and it still works!. Hum free as well. Its got a Buffer then into a Compressor, a Rangemaster, a SuperHardOne, a TS808 then finally a Violet Rams Head Big Muff. It sounds great, I'm really chuffed with it. There are a few errors; I can't get one of the LEDs to work for some reason, the enclosure painting leaves much to be desired, and the "graphics" are frankly laughable. But what the hell, it works!!!

I'm also part way through a modulation unit as well; chorus, phaser and delay so far, either a tremolo or another delay to be added before I paint it in the same rather fetching shade of blue. Oh, and I also have a little amp to build as well. When the weather warms up I've got two guitar builds to finish and I fancy a valve amp kit next. If I spent half as much time practising as I do tinkering I might be a half decent guitarist, but what the hell; it works!
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    and just to give you all a good laugh here is a gut shot. I don't think @juansolo or @thorpy6 have anything to worry about!

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/FullSizeRender_zps471f5116.jpg

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

If you have combined all those without any background noise, you've done really well. I always find getting my builds into the box the most stressful part, and I've built nothing approaching that level of complexity yet.

As for the L.E.D, check it's the right way around with the diode test on a multimeter. If it is, buzz it back through the wiring to it's connection points with the continuity check. Shouldn't be too difficult to find the fault with a little patience.

I quite like the written "graphics" too. A no nonsense box of rock. Enjoy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27098
    Well it gets a Wow from me. I think the wiring would make me itch, but if it's working and not noisy that's the important bit.

It's DYING to get some dyno-style "tone labels" though...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Great effort, that's a lot of options in one box.... And a lot of gain too. I'm looking forward to seeing the modulation one now.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I'll second that.

The tricks to wiring them neatly I covered in a mini-tutorial I did on my site. But essentially you do a lot of planning where everything goes. Drop in all the switching, then treat every effect as stand alone and fit them one at a time. Testing after each one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys. I read your tutorial and found it really useful @juansolo I just didn't dare take it all apart in case I couldn't get it back together again! I'll steel myself to do a neater job next time; feels like Easter could be spent hunched over a soldering iron. Great fun though. I may now have some of my existing pedals to sell.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Very impressive and I like the way it looks. A basic, professional looking box. Very well done.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    I think it looks great - although in the blank space I think it could do with a name for the mega-pedal. 
    What's the reason behind them being ordered from right to left?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    I couldn't even begin to get my head around something like this - great job!

@BigMonka it just follows the flow I have on my pedal board from in to out, right to left.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll investigate dymo labels @stickyfiddle thanks for the idea

I can't wait until I get time to finish the modulation one. Also planning another order to build a third one with even more drive options