Red Cedar?

Has anyone used Red Cedar as a cap?

I need something that's reasonably light and fairly easy to work (carve), and I just happen to have some cap-thickness planks of Red Cedar doing nothing.  The appearance isn't too critical (it doesn't look like it'll be that visually interesting) because I'm going to Wudtone stain it when done.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725

your main issue will be mounting the bridge.  there is a good chance a stud mounted tailpiece would pull out of something as soft as cedar.  try to use longer studs that go through it,  or use a different style of tailpiece to take the pressure away

it will also dent pretty easily - a harder finish may be more suitable. you have used wudtone so can make up your own mind on whether its going to be tough enough for you on this.  tbh a finish that wears easily may suit the guitar

where is the red cedar from?   if it was intended for acoustic tops then it should have a high grain count and be quite stiff and a bit harder.  if it was intended for fence panels then choose a bit more carefully

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    WezV said:

if it was intended for fence panels then choose a bit more carefully

Thanks for the advice.

I've never used it before - just bought a couple of planks of it (cheap) at a country estate wood fair a few years ago, thinking that it might be a little different.  It's still in plank form.  I'll work on a little bit of it and see how it looks and feels once it's cleaned up.

Otherwise it's either some (English) walnut or some fairly standard Maple.  Trouble with the maple is the weight.  The rest of the guitar is nicely light, but a 15mm thick chunk of maple on the top is going to change that!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

if it was intended for fence panels then choose a bit more carefully

Thanks for the advice.

I've never used it before - just bought a couple of planks of it (cheap) at a country estate wood fair a few years ago, thinking that it might be a little different.  It's still in plank form.  I'll work on a little bit of it and see how it looks and feels once it's cleaned up.

Otherwise it's either some (English) walnut or some fairly standard Maple.  Trouble with the maple is the weight.  The rest of the guitar is nicely light, but a 15mm thick chunk of maple on the top is going to change that!

Mind you, if you are capping it you can always add chambers to compensate...