soft case pedal board s vs hard case? (pedal train etc)

John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
I'm just about to order a new board (when I decide which size I want).  

Thomann have some pretty good prices for the pedal train boards  (£76 for a pt2 sc,   £87 for a pt3 sc,  £87 for a pt1 hc)

So I've only ever had hardcore boards - usually a flightcase with a lift off lid but I fancy a pt style for neater wiring.   My question is how secure anyone with a softcase finds it?     

The pt3 is probably the size I want but I can't imagine velcro holding bigger pedals in place inside a soft case.  On the flipside it would be lighter and for a grab and go board maybe a hard case is more than I need.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2015
    I gigged one of those Electro Harmonix gigbags for years & it was actually really good...until the zip went. But it lasted me about 4 years. Nowadays I use a Pedaltrain Jr with a gigbag...its ok...could be a lot better. But I think a mini flightcase would be overkill unless I was gigging every week. Velcro is rubbish, buy 3M Dual Lock or the copy they sell in Clas Olson
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    I use the PT3 with soft case - not had issues with the velcro, although for moore and boss pedals I took off the rubber pad on the pedal, which helps alot, Case is ok but nothing more, just protects enough.

Now that PT are releasing a lot of new sizes, I wish I had waited and a got a new board - not sure how easy it will be to get a replacement case in the future. 

Also check your power units will fit underneath., Carl Martin Pro power is good, Fuel Tank Chameleon is bad (I have both) 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    I have a PT3 in softcase which gets gigged every week, no issues whatsoever, apart from as above with rubber pads etc on the bottom of some pedals causing more issues than the velcro!!
  • The PT3 hardcase is going to be really heavy.  I have the 2 hardcase and by the time you fill the board up with pedals it is quite heavy.  The 3 is bigger so that'll make it worse.  I haven't tried the softcase and am I'm currently using a midi floorboard, but if I ever use my PT board out and about again I'd be looking at getting a soft case of some description (mono are supposed to be good). 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I have a PT2 with softcase. I really don't mind it actually, and would find it difficult to go back to a hardcase. It's just the weight saving... it's brilliant!
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The advantage of a SC is being ale to carry it on public transport or whatever to rehersals. If your just gonna be chucking it in a van I'd go hard case.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1267
    I use a Gator pedal tote with a soft case - absolutely fine for me as I do all my own load in/out and it gets packed away carefully in the boot of a car with due attention paid to what goes on top of it. Doesn't take up much room in storage, nice and light to carry, handy when I want to just take board and guitar to a jam.

If it was getting chucked in a van/truck with lots of other kit by persons unknown I think I'd feel a lot happier with a flight case (or with the soft case being packed in a trunk with my other kit like leads, wireless etc, etc)....
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks chaps.    

My main gigging board is a hard case with the G system and a ton of other gear - wireless, pedals etc.   It's big and heavy and well protected.

For this board I want something smaller and simpler - I like the idea of the pedal train frame, keeping the wiring out of the way but when sticking a nova system, a couple of drive pedals, tuner, wah and power supply on it I worried that it'll get knocked about in a softbag and all need re postiting and wiring up.   Sounds like it'll be fine and I should try it.   
    The pt3 gives plenty of space to add the pedals and a loop switcher if I add one without being huge so I'll order it tonight. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    the zips on the pedaltrain bags are not great, mine went after not a lot of use at all....the problem is the hardcases are very heavy duty, and as a result very heavy...

• I have the pt2 with soft case. I often have to carry it places which does my back in and outs thoughts of getting a bigger one to bed.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I have the PT2 in a hardcase, it's not that weighty.. Depends on what you're used to, like moving a Twin gig to gig etc.

Transport was the deciding factor in the case for me. I take all the pa and lights in my van, so the case offered that extra protection and stacking ability.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    My main gigging board is way heavier than my fender twin amd it's fine.  So weight isn't a factor - I was just worried about how secure pedals would be if I tried a soft case.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I have a little pt-mini board in a bag, my old tc ditto had is knob knocked off during transit.. Pretty sure the flight cased mixing desk slid into it on the way home, it was a badly packed van though!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've used a PT2 with SC for years now and it is still working perfect!

Plenty of space for cables etc and the zip has been fine so far (although i've heard enough complaints to be cautious)

I wouldn't want to drop it of course, but I wouldn't want to in a hard case either!

My board weighed a fecking tonne for a while too, no issue on handle or shoulder strap
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    PTJr with softcase here. The best thing is it help load in times as the shoulder strap potentially saves you a whole trip out to the car.

That said, much bigger than a PTJr and I'd be a bit worried about the weight getting silly. Depends on what pedals you have and how densely packed, obviously!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires