NGD (and hello): K-Line Truxton Special

What's Hot
StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
edited March 2015 in Guitar
First of all, hello - I'm a long-time lurker (solely because I couldn't ever locate the confirmation email from having signed up, until I got a new email account with a proper spam folder) who has finally decided it was time to register properly, partly inspired by a new guitar - which I think may be the best of reasons.

I've been playing for a living for 25 years now, and have owned far too many guitars to count, at least a couple of hundred. Of all the ones that I have passed through my hands, there are I think 3 I would ever actually buy back (for the record, a Gretsch 6120TM, a '68 Tele, and an SG Standard that I didn't fully appreciate at the time).

A little over a year ago I acquired a Collings 290 (hence the name) which I think, on balance, is the finest electric guitar I've ever played anywhere, let alone owned. Even acoustically it sounds incredible, and the whole thing vibrates in the most appealing way. It reminds me of a '58 Junior I once had hired in, and plays beautifully too. I have no idea if they're all as good - I've never played another 290 - but for me this guitar is the pinnacle. I've played other Collings electrics, but fortunately for my wallet, the 290 is the best of the lot in my opinion, just a perfect instrument (if such a thing is possible).

The problem has been that it makes my other guitars seem a little less...whatever. I've pretty much settled by now on a nice collection of instruments for work, and each guitar I have is the best example of each model I've owned (my Historic '63 ES335 Nashville is the best semi I've ever played anywhere) but the Collings is another level up, and no one guitar can cover every base, really.

Recently I was sent a K-Line Truxton Special to try out. I was fairly cynical about the whole "boutique Fenders" thing, to be honest, but I have to say - this guitar has absolutely knocked me out.

Again, acoustically, it just sounds immense. I have a Nocaster with a one-piece body which is really loud acoustically - the loudest tele I've ever had - and the K-Line sounds almost identical. The Klein Epic '57 P90s sound glorious - and actually this guitar complements the 290 in a recording perfectly.

The main thing, though, is the feel. The neck, a Medium "U" shape, feels almost exactly like the old '68 we had in my band, but with the massive advantage of better, taller frets and a 10" radius. It plays like a dream. Sad to say, it makes my Nocaster (which has a 60s medium C profile) feel decidedly pedestrian.

I read a discussion on K-Line guitars from a while back on here, and there seem to be a few misconceptions. Now, I'm no sudden expert on K-Line guitars, but I do know these are hand-crafted from the ground up - they are NOT parts guitars. It is beautifully put together, with it seems to me a subtly different neck angle, and really tasteful very light ageing (I'm not a fan at all of the whole relic thing personally).

The other thing I know - and again, I've never played any other K-Lines, so I can't really comment on them - is that this is the best "tele" I've had the pleasure of playing. Once I'd spent a couple of hours with it, there was no way I could let it go. In fact I was initially going to custom order one in a different finish, but generally I find if you really bond with a particular instrument, that's the one you keep. Besides, the finish is growing on me! I also know there will very likely be another K-Line Truxton in my future at some point (double bound, deep blue, rosewood board, Klein pups...)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    ...for the record, here's the 290

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Welcome, and, nice :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4298
    I really like that dude. And if it's the one from Coda, I very nearly bought it a few months back.

And welcome to the forum!

:)
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    #livingthedream
    It IS the one from Coda. 

Thanks for the welcomes!
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    edited March 2015

I'm having a room like that straight after I win the euromillions tonight, then I'm going to have to hire you to tell me exactly what all those boxes with the twinkly lights do.

:)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    It's nice when you get 'the one' in your hands, but for me it's a double edged sword as you constantly look for another/better instrument.

I'm quite interested about the set up in the room and what it all does too!
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Show off. You'll be fine around here. Pint of coffee when you get them in please
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Welcome aboard.

Oh, and phwoar! to the second pic. :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    Very nice.
  • K_LineK_Line Frets: 20
    Thanks so much for the purchase.  If you have any questions please shoot me an email. chris@k-lineguitars.com
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Timely post there, Chris - since I got it a few months ago the Truxton Special has now become my "in the event of fire please save..." guitar, which is quite remarkable.

I'll be ordering another Truxton from you in the next year or so.

Ever doen a baritone Truxton Special?