Le sigh - guitar body repair help

What's Hot
Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
edited March 2015 in Making & Modding
So I started off with this

Uploaded with Imgupr

I love my cv tele but decided to strip the finish and oil it because the grain actually looks pretty nice. The last few bodies I sanded but this time decided to use a heat gun... Yup you guessed it

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Anybody tell me the best way to fix this? I split it months ago and set it aside out of frustration but recently I've been missing my tele and put it back together last week as is.

The split hasn't gotten any bigger but I'd like to fix it just in case. It's not very deep and still seems pretty solid. I'd like to fix it then finish what I started by sanding the rest and tru oiling it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I would be extremely surprised if it became a structural problem.  Personally, I would squeeze the nozzle of the titebond bottle into the crack to fill as much of the void and then fill as normal...

In my earlier days of building, only that degree of mismatch between the two halves would have been regarded as a success!  
    :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Just put something over it so you don't see it.

It's actually going to be very difficult to close it up, because it's more likely to be pure shrinkage than movement, so there won't be any way of forcing the two sides together. Probably best to fill it with a mixture of glue and wood dust and hope it doesn't show too much. Or go back to Plan A ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27606
    Glue it - but a tiny amount of glue as deep into the crack ad you can.  

Clamp it, using something to protect the sides of the guitar.

Leave for 24 hrs before removing clamps.

Carry on stripping, but be careful where you aim the gun!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'll have a go this weekend. Anyone able to help me with clamps? I have a very basic toolkit and I'm not sure what to use. I can buy something before the weekend if I know what to get.

I'm going to buy a palm sander as well I don't want to risk anymore damage.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16722

sanding is going to take an age.

i would carry on with the heat gun.  then fix it after.  

My glue of choice for this would be warmed epoxy - it flows really well if both the glue and body are warmed slightly and it fills a lot better than other glues and takes a finish better too.  something good quality like west systems or Z-poxy rather than araldite.  no clamping required for this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom