Univibe

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
Been thinking of this effect for a while - full tone model doesn't seem to review that well.
What are other options (meyer is too expensive)

I saw the JHS and Pigtronix ones which both look good, but also the new TC one looks good.

How different is the sound from my 2 stage DOD 201 phaser (sounds great for DSOTM stuff) - is the univibe actually worth it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited March 2015
    It better be worth it... cos I've just bought The Depths by EarthQuaker Devices.

Is it different to a phaser?  Dunno about your phaser but it's definitely different to my MXR phase 90.  Not a million miles away though.

Anyway, I love swirly pedals.

Wampler Velvet Fuzz and Earthquaker Devices The Depths -- univibe type pedal

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    I can close enough with my Pigtronix Envelope Phaser. I really dig that squelchy chewy sound. I'd like to try the EQD Depths and Bearfoot Mini Vibe.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4725
    I actually prefer 2 stage phasers, I have a P45 clone and it's in a similar tonal ballpark but does not take over as much as a proper vibe. They seem a bit more subtle and usable more of the time.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    It's not just the chewy hendrix thing, you can get really lush chorusy rotating speaker. Sounds.as well as quite varying degrees of phasiness. And lots of stuff in between. They're very versatile. I love mine.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27153
    The MXR one is really good. Not quite as good as the full-blown original-circuit ones, but doesn't cost £400, doesn't weigh a tonne and doesn't take up 3/4 of your pedalboard.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited March 2015
    I love a good univibe effect and have been through a few. Firstly, don't discount the Fulltone, I feel that it is one of the better ones and I have owned two (still have one), it just needs a quick turn on the trimmer pot to bring the best out of it for the amp you're using - which I dare say some of those reviewers don't try!

The Roger Meyer is the best I've tried though. I own a Meyer Voodoo Vibe TC - the slimmed down, more affordable version which just focuses on the confusingly called "chorus" section of its bigger brother, but is actually the univibe setting. They are hard to find but as luck would have it, Guitar Village have one on sale this week. The looks bothered me so I gave mine a makeover and lost the Fred Flintstone knobs and it came out great!

So based on my ownership:  Pickle Vibe < Voodoo Lab Microvibe << Deja Vibe < Roger Meyer

Hope that helps!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I have the blue Fulltone and like it. Voodoo Lab MicroVibe is good too (I have one FS in the classifieds). The Phase 45 works well too, I have one on my mini board. The next vibe for me will be the DryBell Vibe Machine - sounds crazy good. Also, the TC Viscous Vibe should be shipping soon.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Voodolabs microvibe, excellent bang for buck
    Lovepedal picklevibe, superb small footprint.
    Sweetsound Mojovibe - fantastic
    OxFuzz Oxvibe modern, solid and sounds great, probably best live option,  but big footprint and hard to find
    Fulltone dejavibe2 - great pedal easy to get in the UK
    Casltdine Supervibe - the closedest thing to a real vibe you'll get, specific power needs and suffers from legacy volume drop (it's that accurate) amazing unit, but a big and hard to get unit.
    JHS Warblertron - up there with the sweetsound and oxvibe, superb live choice,

I have all of these pedals so this is not from youtube videos, this is from real practical and studio use.

Personal choice,

Castledine for the studio, it's as good as it can get.
    Mojovibe for live use, with the oxvibe and JHS tied a super close second, ask me next week and these 3 could be in a different order, it has changed and will again
    Voodoovibe or picklevibe for just pickup and go simple pedals that are rock solid and fantastic value for money.
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    +1 for the Mojovibe.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Mojovibe.

Also check out the Dry Bell Vib Machine, new kid on the block
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050
    +1 for the Vibe Machine - great little pedal.

R.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    The MXR one is really good. Not quite as good as the full-blown original-circuit ones, but doesn't cost £400, doesn't weigh a tonne and doesn't take up 3/4 of your pedalboard.
    Mine has its own postcode......

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    I see that EHX have a version out now too - Good Vibes - way cheaper than the others... but is it any good
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24495
    TC have a vibe pedal coming soon as well.

I'm in the market for a vibe, so I'm going to wait to see what the TC is like.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm also a swirly pedal addict. I had a good play on the new TC Vibe at the show last Sunday morning and loved it (and their new phaser). I've been really happy with my MXR Univibe but I'm going to be really tempted to get the TC one latter in the year (you could place a pre-order but you couldn't take one home).

It does a neat trick when you hold the switch down...but I can't quite remember exactly but I think it ramped up the rate
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22224
    Sweet Sound Mojovibe. It's good. 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Trouble is looking at all these uni vibes has lead me to looking at leslie pedals...  
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Trouble is looking at all these uni vibes has lead me to looking at leslie pedals...  

I'm hoping Leslie doesn't mind..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    i had a visit from the vibe fairy:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom