Help a stranger in a strange land please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    edited May 2015
    This was just a waste of my time and effort.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I don't think the Elephants and Tortoises intended for them to be made into picks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Sassafras said:
    I don't think the Elephants and Tortoises intended for them to be made into picks.
    True enough, but although I am totally against the making of new ones normally*, I think that if they're vintage ones the damage has been done long ago and we can't change that now. Not using them - or worse, destroying them - is pointless and won't bring the animals back.

*Unless the animal has already died naturally, although how you prove that once the material is used I'm not sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    No, I've got no problem with antique ivory but, now, thanks to the massive amount of poaching to satisfy the Chinese demand, how can we be sure what is legal ivory or not?
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 508
    edited May 2015
    This was just a waste of my time and effort.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Cool! A good and responsible use for the material.

I understand Sassafras's concern about needing to be sure it's not from a new source, but there does come a point (in my opinion, although not some of the legislators) where restricting provably historic material is pointless and actually could end up doing more harm. I don't see the benefit in destroying anything where the harm caused to long-dead animals cannot possibly have any impact on living ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein