A (simplified) explanation of the US Debt Ceiling

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5027

This fully explains the US debt ceiling shenanigans !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Li0no7O9zmE

Before:

Employees were paid handsomely for doing nothing

Now:

Those same employees are not paid for doing nothing *.

* Only goes to prove that Politicians are like Diapers.  They need changing frequently and for the same reason. 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15861
    edited October 2013
    not bad, one small point is the debt ceiling is set by congress, not by the lenders. The lenders are happy to lend countries like US, UK etc. as much as we ask for. So long as we keep paying the interest, they don't care that we don't pay back the principle as that's not real (it's just an entry on a balance sheet). They will get pissed off if we decide to restructure the debt (say, by writing it off), but as the banks are the owners of countries that are in debt, that will never happen. So, they keep lending as it's easy, no risk money.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    So... if I declare myself a country, and get my arm to print money, can the world bank lend me say... half a trillion £'s?
  • @Myranda, yes, as long as you're a in a key strategic location, and you're producing enough oil to run the western world's cars for the next 50 years.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I have a population of 0 (other people) within my borders, and some minerals... 0/some=infinity... ergo I have more mineral wealth per capita than any nation ever! I also have no power stations or vehicles within my borders... though I have vehicles in another nation, so I think I'm an invading army.

I also exported earlier today... so have a a thriving manufacturing base... if I include the contents of my wallet against the 0 population then my GDP is pretty impressive!

I'd say based on the numbers the nation of Myranda is the most vital nation there has ever been to the global economy and is too important to fail.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited October 2013
    Myranda said:

I'd say based on the numbers the nation of Myranda is the most vital nation there has ever been to the global economy and is too important to fail.
    I would start drawing up strict immigration laws right now. Such a Shangri-La is bound to attract economic migrants and the consequences of overpopulation don't bear thinking about.
  • vizviz Frets: 10773

This is the most captivating film I've seen in a long time!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFP-2_iDYMU

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.