BD-2 and SD-1 a good pairing?

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2434
edited March 2015 in FX
Thinking of picking both of these up to run as my drive section into my Blackstar HT-5210.

I'm thinking that I could:

• Foot switch to the Blackstar's gain channel for a slightly driven tone.
  • Use the BD-2 for a 'Rocky Crunch'
  • Add the SD-1 to either of the above at anytime for a face melting lead!
I was originally tempted by an OD-3 but that moment passed!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    or you could set the amp to face melter and use your volume control on the guitar to get the variations.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    or you could set the amp to face melter and use your volume control on the guitar to get the variations.
    This is true!

Part of me would still be tempted to get an SD-1 though as I have heard so much about about how well they boost.

Want to try it for myself :)

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    luckily 95% of all shops have boss pedals

I would certainly try before you buy.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited March 2015
    i haven't tried your amp but that combo should work ok- though from memory the bd2 (or more accurately my screamin blues, see sentence below :D) doesn't like to be boosted, it needs to be first.

the digitech screamin blues is a glorified bd2 for £20, though. Might be worth considering instead.

daphon does a cheaper sd1, except a lot of the time it's not that much cheaper and I'd probably just get the "real thing".
  • Sd1. Best pound for pound pedal on the planet... Works with a bd2 either before or after.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited March 2015
    I had both pedals on my pedal board, they were both modded, were pretty good at what they did and stacked well. Neither were spectacular for me but my band mate loved the tone from them. 

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    The SD-1 is like your favourite condiment: goes well with almost anything.

I run mine as a standalone but also use it in the classic combination with my Marshall.

BTW @Dave_Mc I've finally got a proper Boss and will be selling my Daphon. There's barely anything in it for sounds as we know, but IMO the Boss is a tad thicker and has more OD overall.
    Having given it some thought I think the bd-2 wouldn't really add much to my rig as the drive channel on the HT5 has a pretty wide scope .

The sd-1 on the other hand.....

At that price I might aswell just give it a shot!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    Actually the SD-1 is more similar to the drive channel of the HT-5, so the BD-2 will give more variety - the SD-1 will give more of the same (although that may be what you want!).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Actually the SD-1 is more similar to the drive channel of the HT-5, so the BD-2 will give more variety - the SD-1 will give more of the same (although that may be what you want!).
    Really?

This I did not know.

Is the HT5's Drive based on a pedal of some sorts then?

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9832
    The can of Blackstar branded worms has just been opened :)
    d8m said:

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    The can of Blackstar branded worms has just been opened :)
    d8m said:

Have I opened Pandoras box without realising? :(

Not really :).

Yes, the HT-5 is a hybrid amp design which contains a "Tube Screamer type" solid-state boost circuit in the overdrive channel - ie it uses diodes in the feedback loop of an op-amp gain stage. The SD-1 is also a 'Tube Screamer family' overdrive.

However it is not as simple as the amp having solid-state overdrive - it doesn't. Like a Tube Screamer set with the gain low, all it really does is boost the signal going into the valve and make *that* overdrive - so what you're hearing is actually valve overdrive. Even when the gain is far enough up to cause distortion from the diodes, the valve is so far into overdrive itself that the effect of the diodes is totally masked. In fact it is very like running a Tube Screamer (or an SD-1) set as a nearly-clean boost into an already overdriving valve amp.

But still, putting the SD-1 in front will give you 'more of the same' because it's essentially doing something similar, instead of a different voicing. That may be exactly what you want, or it may not. The BD-2 uses a totally different circuit, so would give you more *different* sound options. Without having tried it it isn't a certainty that the BD-2 will 'stack' that well into the HT circuitry either - best to ask someone who has. They are sometimes said to not respond very well to some kinds of dirt pedals.

But to be honest, given how cheap they are, buy both and try them! And get a DS-1 while you're at it too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 2015
    ICBM said:
     And get a DS-1 while you're at it too :).
    I have a DS-2 which is way better ;)

maybe I should just be sensible and spend the money on an Isolated PSU and move away from my diago :(

Not necessary at all with Boss pedals. They are designed to be used on a daisy-chain.

ICBM said:
    Not necessary at all with Boss pedals. They are designed to be used on a daisy-chain.
    My diago seems to have been humming a bit lately, Ive actually sent it back to them for them to take a look at it.

Problem is I have a set amount of money but a list of things I would like that cost more :(

I just need to pick one!

I could finally invest in a pedaltrain and pick up the BD-2 I guess :)

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Skarloey said:
    The SD-1 is like your favourite condiment: goes well with almost anything.

I run mine as a standalone but also use it in the classic combination with my Marshall.

BTW @Dave_Mc I've finally got a proper Boss and will be selling my Daphon. There's barely anything in it for sounds as we know, but IMO the Boss is a tad thicker and has more OD overall.
    Yeah there hardly seemed to be anything in it with mine either- the Boss seemed to have a little more level boost on tap. But the daphon didn't seem to have the bypass bleed.

I still use both since I run two boards for my different amps. :))