Hmmm... something funky happened with my JVM tonight

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Got into practice.. clean channel was fine, OD1 and O2 were fine... crunch channel wouldn't make any sound whatsoever. Couldn't figure it out, so I just left it and used my OCD.

Get home... swap tubes around. Sweet fuck all difference.

Turned all the EQ knobs a bit, and noticed a bit of crackling with the treble knob. Turned treble knob around a bit more, and the channel came back to life... and it now seems fine.

WTF?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not at all familiar with the JVM but if it's a standard tone stack you've probably found your fault. The whole signal flows through the treble pot, funky pot there and it will go silent. Could just have been a bit of crap in the pot. I'd keep a suspicious watch on it and if it does it again swap it.
  • Dude, your experience really isn't selling me on Marshall build quality...you've got their flagship amp, and still you've have to have the mainboard replaced and now you've got a dodgy pot.

I'll stick to my £200 Jet Cities :D
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    JVM's have had a lot of build quality issues- check the Marshall forums- there are loads of threads.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Unfortunately the pots on all the modern Marshalls are crap. (Anything except the reissues basically.) They're not alone though, a lot of companies are using them now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Could've been just a bit of cruft. I know, it isn't that great. The amp does sound amazing though! I was bitching last night about how I was done with tubes and was going all digital, lol. But there is a part of me that is seriously tired of the maintenance of a valve amp.
  • How long have you had it, and do you use potentiometer cleaner? 
    I've had the amp since last October. I had the main board replaced about a month or so ago. I've not used any pot cleaner on the amp at all. It *seems* fine now, so I'm going to assume it was just some cruft got into the shaft or something.

But yeah... sometimes I wish I'd just gone feckin' all digital!!
  • I've heard about about JVM issues, but I think your amp is cursed.

Digital is ok, but I feel like a bit of a fraud as I do not use all the "amps" available.  In fact I try to use as little as possible after what I took away @Clarky and @Octotonic advise at Axe-Fest UK last year - To paraphrase, don't use lots of different amps blocks as it messes with the sound guy.
    Yeah I agree. I'd only really use a good clean model and a good gain model, and I'd get the crunch with different levels of input gain and output volume.

But it's besides the point, not switching until I have to at this point!