Choice of 2. Any advice?

What's Hot
So I'm 40 soon and the Mrs has agreed I can choose a new guitar. I want a dreadnought or jumbo type acoustic and have narrowed it down to 2 possibles. First off I'm a lefty so getting to try any new guitar is a major headache, so seeing them in the flesh is almost certainly a no no. I've done some reading and watched videos and I know it's not perfect but for me it has to do. My choice is between an epiphone inspired by Texan 64 at £330 or a Yamaha ll16are at £599 Common sense says expensive is better right? I'm not bothered about playing plugged in so for this purchase its all about sound, looks, quality and longevity. Any advice or other choices appreciated Shaun
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I'm a lefty.

I'd b inclined to say Yamaha but...

I've had a brief play on the Epi and it's okay. Not bad but it didn't really knock me out as I hoped it would. Shame because I love the Texan/ J45 slope shouldered look.

That said I've never had the pleasure of playing that Yammy, though it was on my to try list when I was doing the rounds trying out guitars when I made a 'big' acoustic purchase a few years back.

Have you any chance of getting to try a few acoustics in a shop?
  • shsam75shsam75 Frets: 1
    It's a hassle getting anywhere that might stock them. Guitar guitar have each in stock but its a full day there and back and unfortunately with kids it's a day without dad about on a rare wkend off. I have a tanglewood tw45 at the minute which has served me well but it's a cutaway and tbh I don't need access to those frets and I do prefer the look of a nice big dreadnought.
    I'm in a similar boat mate.

Y'know what? You only live once. Fuck it and get that Yammy

(AND DO IT QUICK BEFORE SOMeONE POSTS ADVISING YOU TO GET A TAYLOR ;) )
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73015
    Skarloey said:
    I'm in a similar boat mate.

Y'know what? You only live once. Fuck it and get that Yammy

(AND DO IT QUICK BEFORE SOMeONE POSTS ADVISING YOU TO GET A TAYLOR ;) )
    Get a Taylor :).

I admit I'm not a huge fan of Yamaha acoustics, but given the choice of the LL or the Epiphone I would get the Yamaha no question. Modern Epiphone acoustics are adequate, no more than that. Yamahas are good, but the sound is a bit 'personal taste' - for my personal taste, rather bland. But I know a lot of people think very highly of the LLs.

There are also left-handed Faith acoustics in your price range, which have a very good reputation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @icbm

I agree re the sound with the cheaper ones.

The Yamaha the op refers to on paper at least has an impressive spec.

I must admit I have a soft spot for japanese made Yamahas because the one or two (old) ones I've played have been beauts. And as a massive Bert Jansch fan he got a lovely sound out of the Yammy he played for years. As I say though, never had the pleasure to date of trying that model, for the reasons the op says.
    I've not been that impressed by the LLs or other Japanese ones either to be honest - they're not at all bad, but very clean-sounding and (to me) rather characterless - I much prefer something a bit rougher and thicker-sounding, vintage Martin/Gibson/Guild type sound. To be honest I feel the same about a lot of the currently fashionable brands including Faith though, so it's probably just me ;).

Bert Jansch would have sounded great on anything :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    The Yamaha I had, can't remember which model, was very nice, played well, was very resonant and well made. Epiphones can be a bit lacklustre, although it is almost half the price. :)
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    I would recommend trying a Simon & Patrick, or other guitars in that family (eg Seagull). My daughter recently got a S&P Songsmith, and it's really great. Gibson scale length, so a different sound and feel - not as bright as Taylors at al. I prefer a more mellow sound, but horses for courses and all that. The electrics (B Band A3T) are great too - natural sounding, plenty of volume & tweakability. And made in Canada, if you like your guitars to be made by people who get paid enough to actually buy and enjoy the instruments they make ;)
    @icbm

I was lucky enough to see Bert Jansch four times. On each occasion he played that old Yamaha.

You're right that he sounded great on anything, but the quality that Yamaha had was that it had the most wonderful and convincingly natural amplified acoustic sound I have ever heard. He only (afaik) used the undersaddle pup but had no 'zing' or harshness.

Perhaps a combination of a very good guitar, a decent eq setting and a stellar player.
  • xwoozorxwoozor Frets: 6
    I owned a yamaha LL16 years ago and I didnt like it at all.  It was heavy over built and bright with no depth.  I would go check out the faiths different league to the two you have mentioned.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    edited March 2015
    I have a Yamaha LL6 and it is superb value for the money. Bert played an LL11 which I believe is effectively the same guitar - solid spruce top and laminated rosewood back and sides. They are heavy compared to say a Martin dreadnought and the top could move more but I think that is expecting a lot at that price point. I have a Martin OM18V which is 5 times the price and granted if you look at it the top vibrates but sometimes after all that warm midrange it's nice to play a bright Yamaha as a contrast.

By the way I once owned a Taylor 414ce and I think the Yamaha is better irrespective of price/value considerations.

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I have a Yamaha LL6 and it is superb value for the money. Bert played an LL11 which I believe is effectively the same guitar - solid spruce top and laminated rosewood back and sides. They are heavy compared to say a Martin dreadnought and the top could move more but I think that is expecting a lot at that price point. I have a Martin OM18V which is 5 times the price and granted if you look at it the top vibrates but sometimes after all that warm midrange it's nice to play a bright Yamaha as a contrast.

Here's Bert in action

Another big shout for the LL6 from here as well. Had mine 10 years, love it. Bought it after seeing Bert Jansch with Yammies. I know why he used them it gives the loveliest woody thump and a really sparkly top end for fingerstyle. I almost sold it last year and then realised i was stupid. 
    Its going to be a class above the Epiphone i would have thought.
    Not enough love on here for Yamaha guitars in general. Not trendy enough?   
    One thing : Mine isnt heavy - i havent weighed it but it certainly feels in the same ballpark as any dreadnought ive ever played  
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Another option-Sigma do a left handed DR28 left handed-No cutaway or electronics, just ( I'm surmising) a straight ahead copy of a Martin D28;
    GAK has it for £279-
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    Yamaha make really good acoustics, whilst I don't know this model, if I was buying blind, it's the one I'd go for, based on all the other ones I have played.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    pity your stated budget doesn't quite stretch to a faith. I'd have faith before epi or yam
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ive had a quick look at the Faith Saturn. its the only dreadnought lefty i could see on their site. it looks nice, any owners with one or any reviews. At the minute i am leaning towards the yamaha. i really wish i could get to a shop and see loads of left handed guitars all in one place rather than that shop has 1, they have another. Ho hum..
  • xwoozorxwoozor Frets: 6

shsam75 said:
    ive had a quick look at the Faith Saturn. its the only dreadnought lefty i could see on their site. it looks nice, any owners with one or any reviews. At the minute i am leaning towards the yamaha. i really wish i could get to a shop and see loads of left handed guitars all in one place rather than that shop has 1, they have another. Ho hum..
    I have the high end signature series near 2k rrp faith which is amazing.  But Ive also played the cheaper ones ranging from £500-£800 and they have all been great.  Very good setups on all of them.  If your budget is at that higher end of £600 i would definately pop to a shop with some and take a look.  There is way to much over hype on those yamaha ll16s online.  Also worth looking at the guild guitars.
    shsam75;554241" said:
    Where are you? If you're erring towards heading to a shop to try one or two maybe some of us could recommend somewhere in your locality.
    Just been looking at Taylors, I believe they offer every guitar as a lefty but boy way too much choice!! I know it's completely irrelevant but I don't like the faith logo on the headstock. Very picky I know. I've ruled out the epiphone completely
    If you do get a Taylor, whatever you do don't be tempted by one with electrics. (I know you said you weren't looking for one.) They are notoriously unreliable, and the system is unique to Taylor and not compatible with any other pickup or preamp system, either way round. As far as I know even both versions of the Taylor system are totally incompatible with each other too.