quick responses please to idea of using some building site lights -cheap for stage lights

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
@Jalepeno came up with a great suggestion of using building site lights as a starter for band lighting.  I'm posting the question here (also in live section) to see if I can get some quick responses as I might try and get some before the weekend if we all seem to agree (see what this forum has done to me, can't buy anything without your approval!!!) :)
Jalapeno said:
To start - a couple of these, with a red & blue gel respectively .....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/f1102-l500-portable-site-light-400w-240v/46377

ta 

Nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    I think you'll find the heat will melt your gels if they are left on over a prolonged period, these halogen lights give off a LOT of heat.

The initial cost will offset money you safe on replacing blown halogen bulbs every gig ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Can't comment on the building site lights (other than to echo the concerns they will be fecking HOT), and you can pick up LED's very reasonably these days, but one thing I would say is that one thing I have learned is that before getting into fancy, spinning/ flashing/ DMX-ed lighting, having a flood of light that actually, ya know, illuminates the band whilst they are playing is an oft-overlooked but essential element to a live show.

We use a number of rectangular LED panels, on our speaker poles facing us. Took us nearly 5 years of being a band to get round to it, but the difference it makes in our overall presentation is significant.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    For what it's worth, I came across a band the other week who used cheap-ish looking light bars (one each side of the stage), controlled by home-made footswitches operated by the guitarists.

That seems to be a bloody good idea to me, because it means you don't have to have a really long conversation with the sound guy.
    <space for hire>
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    I'm interested in this thread. So what would be the advised wattage for light coverage to use with a band etc i.e. would 20w be enough?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    edited March 2015
    It was me who suggested the builder's lights.  If money's really tight I think it's viable.  But do be careful with 500W ones and gels.

We have a couple if these which we mount on speaker stands, and a DMX controller which does sequence, random or sound-to-light, we only use the last setting.

4 x 500w spots per unit - they are freaking hot !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    It was me who suggested the builder's lights.  If money's really tight I think it's viable.  But do be careful with 500W ones and gels.

We have a couple if these which we mount on speaker stands, and a DMX controller which does sequence, random or sound-to-light, we only use the last setting.

4 x 500w spots per unit - they are freaking hot !
    We use a couple of those, just sat on the floor like on the picture. Usually one aiming at the band, the other aimed out at the dancefloor.

And yes, they ARE freaking hot!

edited March 2015
    Yep - wherever they are - a 2Kw heater (each !!) aimed at you !

We put them on stands to free up floorspace - plus they are f*cking bright shone up into your face

Now they just toast our bald spots ;)

(4 x 500W Par cans would be no less hot BTW)

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    No thanks :) I sweat enough as it is
    Discussion moved to 'Live'

Feedback
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Buy some led par cans they're twenty quid a pop new probably less on eBay, running halogen builders lamps with a bit of gel is going to look pony. Not to mention the amount of current they draw, and replacing the bulbs every other gig as someone mentioned.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2475
    These are bloomin brilliant, I have two of them set to different colours and have them on the floor up lighting the stage. They don't get hot and are flat so easy to pack. http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Dj-Profile-Panel-Wash/dp/B00387G1W8
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    These are bloomin brilliant, I have two of them set to different colours and have them on the floor up lighting the stage. They don't get hot and are flat so easy to pack. http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Dj-Profile-Panel-Wash/dp/B00387G1W8
    looks good but is out of stock
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Jalapeno said:

We put them on stands to free up floorspace - plus they are f*cking bright shone up into your face

Yeah, we have to position them VERY carefully so as to avoid blinding ourselves or our adoring hoardes the drunk folks at the weddings.

In fact, we'd rather have them on T bars, but our T bar was so rubbish (and these are so heavy) it wasn't safe to use, so rather than just buy a new T bar we stick them on the floor..

Jalapeno said:

Yeah, we have to position them VERY carefully so as to avoid blinding ourselves or our adoring hoardes the drunk folks at the weddings.

In fact, we'd rather have them on T bars, but our T bar was so rubbish (and these are so heavy) it wasn't safe to use, so rather than just buy a new T bar we stick them on the floor..

Behind your monitors i.e. band side? Otherwise hoards of fans would trample them?
    Too flipping hot !!!!!! ;)

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:

Behind your monitors i.e. band side? Otherwise hoards of fans would trample them?

Where possible, yes...but these things cause more damage to the foot than the foot does to them!

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    digitalscream;552380" said:
    For what it's worth, I came across a band the other week who used cheap-ish looking light bars (one each side of the stage), controlled by home-made footswitches operated by the guitarists.

That seems to be a bloody good idea to me, because it means you don't have to have a really long conversation with the sound guy.
    Any pics? I've always been interested in doing a similar thing.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27036
    Nah, sadly not. Didn't look like a DMX unit - I'd imagine it's just a latching switch, possibly relay-controlled. Not an especially hard job to make one, should you so desire.
    <space for hire>
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Drew_fx said:
    digitalscream;552380" said:

Any pics? I've always been interested in doing a similar thing.
    You could take a split out of your external tap tempo...that would be pretty sweet.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    And instead of a fogger you could soak some loft insulation in oil, put it in a metal box with a desk fan and set fire to it
    ;)

It does some a lot easier just to get a cheap LED Par kit with a dmx footboard...