Shielded cable grounding?

What's Hot
I'm just in the middle of rewiring my les paul. The 4 conductor shielded cable I've used from the switch to control cavity, do you ground the shielding or is it not necessary? Cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    I'm just in the middle of rewiring my les paul. The 4 conductor shielded cable I've used from the switch to control cavity, do you ground the shielding or is it not necessary? Cheers!
    Much better grounded. Some people will say ground it only at the control cavity end, but I would do it at both. You won't cause a ground loop because the shielding and whichever wire you use as the solid ground connection are exactly the same length and tightly parallel, so any induced voltage will be identical in both - it's the differences in ground paths which cause hum.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks icbm 
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom