Banzai Music Vs Musikding - The Service Gulf Rant.

What's Hot

Over the last six months I have ordered a fair amount of bits from both these companies and spent a lot of money with both.  From an ordering from the UK point of view they seems similarly matched -  Both based in Germany, both sell parts not so readily available here and both carry similar stock lists and on the whole are cheaper than all but a few UK sellers.  I used to get any non-UK sourced stuff from Small Bear via my brother-in-law but it would mean around a months delay (not Small Bears fault as they are excellent) and only save a few pence saving.

The reason I end up ordering from both is because although I would say on 80% of stuff Musikding is cheaper, there are still some items I may need in large amounts that are cheaper from Banzai or they may have some odd things that Musikding tell you they are out of or simply don't stock.  So provided I'm ordering enough to make paying postage twice still worthwhile for a saving I order from both.

The reason I have put the part above in bold is a constant annoyance of mine is the fact over a period of time it has become clear that whilst Musikding keep stock level, even down to single transistors, up to date, there has been times when I have been misled into ordering something from Banzai which says is in stock but then received an email a few days later saying they can't get hold of any.

So last week I placed a large order with each.  Not large in size however so standard post.  Musikding orders seem to arrive seven days after posting, which based on experiences with Thomann and other German companies I consider it to be pretty fair.  If I need parts by a certain time I make allowance and plan around that.  So yesterday the Musikding delivery arrived.

Immediately after placing the two orders last week I realised I had forgotten a small part.  I emailed Banzai straight away and enquired about the possibility of adding it to the previous order, although said I would completely understand if it was too late.  A good few hours later I got a response and due to the time elapsed opened it fully expecting a "Sorry, but no can do".  To my short-lived pleasant surprise it said no problem, just check out and instead of postage select the 'Add to order' tab.  So I go back to their website and select the item (which cost 0.69 Euros).  I got to the check out and the postage read the standard 7.99, so I did as was instructed and clicked add to order only to find out there was a charge of 5.99 to add to an order.  WTF?  5.99 to put an 0.69 item in a box that I've already paid international postage on.

Needless to say I left it and emailed Musikding on the off chance they could stick one in the package from them and despite the delay in fact they not only did it but didn't charge me.

This would have been the end of the gulf in service issue if it wasn't for the fact that today, 8 days after ordering and a day after my Musikding order was sat in my lap I get an email from Banzai to say "Your order is now ready to ship and should be dispatched tomorrow".

In future I think unless I'm in need of a new liver and Banzai are the only one with one in I think I might avoid them.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7129
    tFB Trader
    My experience with Banzai customer service is not good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I'd never heard of Banzai before this (won't be using them after reading this either).

Always had good service from Musikding and Small Bear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've ordered from Banzai. My experience was on a par with yours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    Unfortunately, for certain parts Banzai are the only stockist this side of the pond so I grudgingly order from them as a stopgap if there's no time to wait for a large order from Small Bear or Mammoth.

They have no stock control system in place, which is pretty bad and makes for a frustrating experience (considering the only reason I use them is that the parts are usually here in about a week... if they can be bothered to process the order within 3-4 days). If an item is out of stock, they don't tell you when it's due in unless you nag. They usually take 2-3 days to reply to emails.

On my last order (comprising two items-  some pots and some knobs) they didn't have the pots in stock and they initially sent the wrong knobs (in a completely different colour, too). In the end the parts arrived just two days before a Small Bear order placed at the same time which contained large quantities of the same parts at considerably lower prices. 
  • So yesterday I received a further email saying would you like to add anything before sending.  I again replied saying no thank you, I had what I needed (wasn't bitchy enough to say "Actually I got it from Musikding!") but rather than just let it go I thought I would politely point out that my reason for not adding the item was only cost, which was shocking enough, but even more so baring in mind the cost of the additional item.  So in short - all is fine, please could you send my parts.

Today I get another email saying after me raising the point they were happy to add the item without a extra charge, please let them know then we will send your order.  So despite me telling them twice yesterday still 10 days later my items haven't left.

The delay in not only sending the item but in responding pisses me right off.  Small Bears communication is first class as is Musikding - albeit most of the time it's in German for standard dispatch etc. but all queries and questions are answered promptly in English.  What doubly annoys me about Banzai's sluggish responses is that (although in Germany) they are usually from someone with and English name and clearly a good grip on the English language so it's not like the language barrier is a struggle or an excuse.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 620

Never used Banzai but have used Musikding and would happily do so again.

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    Banzai still haven't improved. As mentioned, I only use them for parts I can't get elsewhere without long postage times or customs delays/charges. My most recent order was for dual gang pots. The stock level was marked green, four bars, so I ordered a bunch. After four days I sent an email to support asking why they hadn't shipped. After six days, I logged-in to their site and raised a support ticket. I heard nothing. After nine days I phoned them up in Germany and asked what was up. I got the equivalent of a cursory "um, dunno" and the mildest apology you could imagine. Turns out they only had two thirds of the number I ordered left in stock (were they waiting for more to arrive?) but anyway, at least some pots are on the way at last. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29191
    edited May 2016
    Banzai were great back when I started making pedals; supportive, helpful and quick.

I ordered some bits to upgrade a guitar over two months ago and they still haven't shipped it all.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom