Tonsilitis

What's Hot
BezzerBezzer Frets: 586

Never had it before, apparantly I have the 'acute' variety.  Bloody hell it's horrible isn't it?

Only plus side is the other half saying "you don't whinge much when you're ill, you know, considering you're a bloke" ... um ... win? :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24371
    It's foul.

Mine was so bad I had the tonsils removed. That was fekking awful.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    I'm hoping it's not going to come to that.  Read up on it last night in a moment of morbid curiousity ... eww.  I'm still hoping the antibios will kick in soon ... VERY SOON.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Don't take it lightly. I've had tonsillitis loads since I was a kid. Nothing more than just the flu like symptoms and general shittyness. Until last year when my throat more or less completey sealed up and next thing I knew I was in and out of consciousness in the back of an ambulance. 3 days and a massive coarse of steroids(!!!!!!!!wtf) later I was home. Wasn't back at work for another two weeks though as the infection went into my ears and I ended up with hardcore vertigo, which was a ball ache considering I worked up on the top floor of an old mill with only a spiral staircase as access!!! What I'm saying is tonsillitis is SHIT!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@benmurray85 JESUS!  That's horrific!

I certainly won't take it lightly, I'd simply never thought about it as I hadn't had it.  Read up on it though and yeah, nothing to be complacent about.  

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6500
    edited March 2015
    Had it about 4.5 years ago...absolute agony. Week off work, missed gigs either end of the week.
    Was prescribed antibiotics that were shaped like rugby balls, and felt like them too.. ouch.
    Also prescribed some strong painkillers, which knocked me out for the count every time I took them.

Not nice. Sympathies.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    Had it for the first time four years ago. It was shit.

Had it again at the beginning of January this year. It was equally shit.

Had it again about 2-3 weeks ago, where my tonsils swelled to the point where I was having trouble breathing. I couldn't drink, eat or even think, the pain was so bad. That was incredibly shit.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Only had one bout about fifteen years ago. The tonsils didn't shrink back afterwards, so were hacked out.

I say hacked; this was one of the early post BSE/CJE ops and used a new disposable instrument set.  Went in to hospital expecting to be out in the afternoon, but woke up covered head to toe in dried blood.

Clearly something went wrong and I was stuck being "observed" for nearly a week, I think this was more for blood pressure than anything else as it was low.

Seems my family are at the very low end of normal BP, so doctors always think there's a problem in these situations.  Presumably I should eat lots of salt and bacon fat to make up for it...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was diagnosed with it at the start of the year too… unfortunately although my throat improved somewhat with medication, I still retained the other symptoms (feeling worn out, constant cold symptoms etc)  I'd put it down to the fact that I've got a 8.5month pregnant wife, a three year old and a pretty physical job. But "she who must be obeyed" insisted I went back. 
    I got a load more tests & apparently it's not tonsillitis after all- it's glandular fever. There's no medication, so I just have to "take it easy" until I feel better. Wish me luck with that- the C-section is in 10days!

@stimpsonslostson that's a nice amount of sucky timing right there, very best of luck with taking it easy!  Good luck with the new baby too!

Update on mine, 7 days in now in total and the tonsils have just started to shrink.  Was in the same sort of boat as @Bidley as I've not eaten solids in that week and if I sleep at the wrong angle I either asphyxiate or trigger a gag reflex and throw up.  Taken to sleeping sitting up, it's getting me about 3 - 4 hours a night.  Very bored of hurting now, very bored indeed and REALLY looking forward to some solid food.

On another plus side though, it's helped the diet no bloody end!