Yamaha THR10C

I'm looking for an amp that will be for home use only. I have had loads of boutique stuff in the past, but this is usually expensive and need pedals / attenuators etc to achieve an acceptable tone.

Anyone here run a THR amp? it looks perfect for plugging headphones into and rackin away in private. But how do they compare to a Fender Mustang or other such modelling amps?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I should also add that I dont want to have loads of pedals, just an amp, that is easy to transport and has built in effects (reverb being a proirity) that I can simply plug into, with the ability to use headphones and plug in an iphone / ipad for backing tracks.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The THR is great, there are a lot of guys on here with them. Mine's the regular not the C, but that was down to the colour choice and my wife agreeing to it having a perminant place in the living room ;-)

Before that I did have a Mustang 1, but they didn't cross over so never AB'd them....but I know I much prefer the THR.
  • Hi, there seem to be lots of opinions on these so take mine with a pinch of salt, but I find mine does do what you say you need and that's what I use it for:

Good stuff: easy to set up and use, sounds ok to me, I have used it with pedals and got reasonable results, plenty loud enough for home practice

Bad stuff: The 10c is quite low gain so I've had to use pedals with it to get acceptable higher gain sounds, I find the sound quite sensitive to where you are sitting and the position of the amp - right in front is ok, too far above it or off to the side and it sounds boxy and shitty to me.

Summary: not perfect but a good compromise. I often plug into mine late at night or when I just have a short time to practice and don't want to warm up a valve amp for what could only amount to ten minutes of playing...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited March 2015
    Yeah it will do all those things.

I have the little thr5. Lacks the ability to save amp settings and (I think) separate eq knobs but is otherwise the same as the 10 version. Smaller though, which is a good ting.

If you get an older version you can do a firmware update to a V2 which improves the clean sound among other things. Great service from Yamaha. 

Also doubles up as a decent speaker for your phone/mp3 player.

Effects are a bonus.

• Can you get Marshall tones from the regular 10 or will I need the C?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12449
    Depends on what you mean by "Marshall tones" really. The regular one will be better for Slash style Marshall tones. Although the C can do medium gain, classic rock stuff, it's really modelled on more clean and blues based amps and you'll need pedals in front to get higher gain.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited March 2015
    I have the 10C.  I bought it as an upgrade to a Peavey Microcube, and it's a definite step-up.  It looks better (and more wife-friendly) as a living room amp, the sounds are a classier and the presets make it easier to use. For me the real value is in the cleans - I was never happy with the "Fender" cleans on the Peavey, and the Yamaha is a massive improvement.  The distorted sounds are better as well, but it's more marginal.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • guycpguycp Frets: 30
    I have 10C - wonderfull for classic rock tones at bedroom level - I use it late at night when everyone's asleep. Really captures feel of much larger amps. Good modelling. Usable effects. For higher gain or metal get metal version.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    I've the regular 10 and had the 10C before that.

They're both great for home / recording.

I think, overall, I preferred the 10C for my type of playing but its marginal. 
  • I have a THR10C and it's a great quiet / silent practice amp, which doubles as my phone dock in the kitchen for music.

As others have said, it doesn't have a lot of gain, but I've found running a pedal into it works well.  I have heard you can squeeze a bit more gain by using the compressor, which is only available via the PC, not the onboard controls.  I need to get around to playing with that.

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing just now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I had one and sold it for 20 quid less than I paid. It's ok as a modelling amp for quiet practice and headphones but sounds rubbish and tinny when turned up.
  • I'm wanting bluesbreaker era tones and Greeny driven fender tones.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Another +1 here.    It gets daily use and sounds great.  If it broke I'd buy another.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Another +1 for what I think is a near perfect amp for home practice. The THR10C is the best for blues and lowing gain rock tones. Great for recording too.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    I've had a 10C for over a year. I really like it as a practice amp and most of the time it delivers a room filling sound that doesn't shake the foundations. It is lower gain than the other two models but I find that it has more than enough for me. The Dr Z Mini mode has the most gain and I find that this really roars with my Kotzen Tele. Downsides? To my ears, the sound through headphone output is a pale imitation of what is produced through the speakers. The price is on the high side so look to buy second hand?