Recommend me some prog metal

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Bidley said:

Well no more absurd than you saying they are because you like them (or just because you say they are..not sure which stance your really taking), at least I made a cursory effort to explain why.

If your effort to explain your stance is to simply say "Dream Theater are awful" then I don't really need to say anything more. You're right, neither of us are the genre police, but I wasn't the one scoffing at Prog suggestions with nothing to back it up.
    Actually the second thing I said was (complete with spelling mistakes):

"Except for the quieter bits in the first one ithey didn't feel that proggu to me either"

I then went on to say:

"Admittedly I only listened to those tracks you posted so there's the off chance their other output sounds different but I would place most of those bands musically with the likes of Nightwish or maybe even bands like Amon Amarth (or obviously Iron Maiden) rather than being musically similar to other prog bands"

It seems like you have cherry picked particular pieces out of what I said to match what you think I am saying presumably because you took umbridge to me not liking those tracks in particular (and that style of music in general). 

So to close this and be completely clear. I don't consider any of those tracks good examples of prog metal. I don't particularly give 2 shits if there is alleged "wider acknowledgement that they use progressive elements" but if I'm talking about progressive metal..like saying I'm in a prog-metal band I sure as fuck hope this isn't what it reminds people of. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5115
    Prog metal and power metal are definitely closely linked.

And there has been a big crossover for over 20 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    edited March 2015
    PolarityMan said:

I don't particularly give 2 shits if there is alleged "wider acknowledgement that they use progressive elements" but if I'm talking about progressive metal..like saying I'm in a prog-metal band I sure as fuck hope this isn't what it reminds people of. 
    Yup, that sums up your 'argument' pretty well. But rest assured, a lot of people will associate prog metal with the bands I posted. Try to live with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom