Has anyone gone custom?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    I think custom amps make quite a lot of sense when you want high end. 

My amp is an H&K Puretone. They sell new for £2,000. It's a simple, but very high quality, point to point, single channel 1x12 amp with limited power scaling. From the MJW pricelist I think he would do something like that for less money.

I'd struggle to get more than £700 for the Puretone SH so I don't really see why I wouldn't go custom 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    edited March 2015
    http://www.rdamplification.co.uk/

Check Rob out (link above obviously) I've had my head and cab for just shy of a year now and I could not be happier. Service is great and prices are very reasonable. Definitely worth a look.
    Bo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    edited March 2015
    The problem with '15 watt version of normally-50 watt amp x' is that it's now a 15 watt amp that sort of sounds like amp x. It's not amp x. It doesn't sound exactly the same. It doesn't feel exactly the same. If you want the sound of amp x, ultimately you'll be disappointed. And you'll have an amp that possibly no one else wants.

Best to find an amp you like the feel and sound of that fits your needs, which might not be amp x or someone's interpretation of a 15 watt amp x...in fact perhaps amp h is what will do it for you.
    That'd be my concern. I wonder if just going with the amp you know you like, regardless of the wattage (maybe fitting powerscaling or similar?) might not be a better idea.

Other than that, I wisdomed Martin's post.

EDIT: Plus as Monquixote rightly said, not all off-the-shelf stuff has good resale either.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    The problem with '15 watt version of normally-50 watt amp x' is that it's now a 15 watt amp that sort of sounds like amp x. It's not amp x. It doesn't sound exactly the same. It doesn't feel exactly the same. If you want the sound of amp x, ultimately you'll be disappointed. And you'll have an amp that possibly no one else wants.

Best to find an amp you like the feel and sound of that fits your needs, which might not be amp x or someone's interpretation of a 15 watt amp x...in fact perhaps amp h is what will do it for you.
    That'd be my concern. I wonder if just going with the amp you know you like, regardless of the wattage (maybe fitting powerscaling or similar?) might not be a better idea.

Indeed, and that's one of the options I've mentioned to the OP. :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    ^ Missed that :)) Sorry :)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Tweakability is an underrated benefit on custom amps. How often do you read on the classifieds that someone wants to change their sound because of a new musical direction they are moving in, so they are buying a new amp and selling the old?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057
    How does this sound to you:

R.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4307
    edited March 2015

shaunm said:
    Basically I am fed up of changing amps every few months.
    Have a word with @Wazmeister, he'll tell you how to change your mindset so that changing every couple of months becomes a positive thing !!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    How does this sound to you:

R.
    Awful.  :D