New Amp Company !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517
    Cabicular said:
    are you using the X32 stuff Danny?

No Allan & Heath QU desk with 2412 cat 5 stage box and ME1 personal mixer on cat 5. Not used the X32 myself but there's a lot of them around now
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ThorntonAmplifiers that looks lovely :) and welcome to the Fretboard :)

may I suggest editing "independent" for "independant" /pedantry
    Ahh, thanks, I hadn't noticed that.  No harm in a little pedantry.

As for CAT5/6/RJ45 et al, I have just finished a gig (wearing my live sound hat) where almost all interlinks across a 1 acre site were CAT5 and fibre (Dante) and everything was light weight and bomb-proof.  I have nothing against CAT5 but it would feel a little out of place on Dexter as the design ethos is a tip-of-the-hat to the early valve amplifier pioneers, admittedly with a modern twist.

Jack sockets were never designed to carry the current of a large amplifier loudspeaker output but they were convenient to builders and became ubiquitous.  I chose to fit Neutrik locking jack sockets on Dexter for loudspeaker outputs as they're 10A rated.  The choice for footswitch connection types was again down to common usage therefore commonly available cables in musicians' gig bags.

Connector placement is largely to keep panel sizes (therefore cabinet size) within sensible limits.  If everything were on the front panel the thing would be massive!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I prefer connections apart from the guitar input on the back. Neater and less likely to get the cables tripped over. You plug them in *before* you put the amp against the wall :).

I think the lack of a standby switch is a mistake. I know very well that 'engineering types' don't like them and that they are not strictly necessary, but they are useful and avoid both valve wear and hot/cold cycles, and are helpful for troubleshooting. There is no disadvantage to one other than the cost of the switch. (Blown rectifier valves are the result of wrongly-implemented standby switching, not the switch itself.) if you're using a rotary power switch a three-position switch could do both jobs.

I also prefer single mono 1/4" cables for footswitch connections like some Fender and Blackstar amps use - because they're robust and you can use any spare instrument cable if you have to.

Not keen on the mode names, sorry!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein