DIY ISO Cab With Built In Speaker?

What's Hot
Just thinking about building an ISO cab, most designs seem to be a large box that you drop your speaker cab in then fix a microphone in and close the lid. Anyone any thoughts about building a neat compact design with a speaker actually built into the box, i know it limits things a bit as you can't use your favourite cab.
Thanks
Rob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
    tFB Trader
    I imagine they'd have to be very carefully designed to work with the particular speaker. Closed back normal cabs are difficult enough, they have to be a specific volumetric size inside, so I think an iso cab would be a step above that. I may, as ever, be wrong though :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I think amptone.com have got instructions and specs for buiding iso boxes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Cabs for guitar speakers don't have to be any specific size - almost none are ever properly designed from an acoustic point of view - and since an iso cab will never sound quite like a mic'ed cab in a room anyway it probably doesn't matter that much.

Be careful about the power handling, you will have to de-rate the speaker a bit compared to it being able to move freely in a room. I would stick to half the normal rating to be on the safe side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom