which amp for an early Clapton sound?

What's Hot
bjmulfordbjmulford Frets: 1
hi all, just wondering which amp E.C. was using to record the songs featured on his 'Blues world of Eric Clapton'. Although it was released in 1975, it was all (i believe) recorded earlier.  (Some references say he wasn't on the album at all!!) Is this the typical L.P or maybe S.G straight into a marshall played loud but with moderate gain? If so, will a modern valve driven Marshall give this kind of tone or do I need to look elsewhere? (I have a Vox AD50VT and I cant get  it to sound like that!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited March 2015
    Fender EC Twinolux.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Sold it.

Altough a Cornell also good but ypu need a loud bigger combo

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Didn't he use a Bluesbreaker in his early days?
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    I may be wrong but I think he used tweed twins in the early 70s as they were more consistent sound wise than the Marshalls. With cream it was JTM-45 100watts. All of this is pre blackie I believe but again I'm not totally sure.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    Post-Cream is all Fenders as far as I know. Supposedly he used a Champ fitted with a 6L6 on Layla, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same on other albums too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited March 2015
    Most of his playing on that album was from his John Mayall days, so JTM45 or Bluesbreaker.
  • John Mayall era was a Marshall. Somebody said everything post cream was Fender- I assume you mean just the amps as he used a 335 with Blind Faith. I saw the first concert where they announced the band as 'Derek and the Dominos' at the Lyceum--he walked on stage and there was slight pause as nobody was sure it was him!! Short hair and a Strat . . . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Yup, despite the release date and cover photo that's all early John Mayell era stuff on that compilation.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    edited March 2015
    Somebody said everything post cream was Fender- I assume you mean just the amps as he used a 335 with Blind Faith. 
    Yes, although I wasn't thinking about the guitars at all until you said that :). He used a Tele with a Strat neck in Blind Faith, too… and Marshalls!

And an Explorer in the mid-70s… then MusicMan amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    461 Ocean Boulevard onwards he was a big MusicMan endorsee
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Jalapeno;560218" said:
    461 Ocean Boulevard onwards he was a big MusicMan endorsee
    I had the catalogue with him standing in front of three stacks with an Explorer.

That said, the inner sleeve shots on No Reason to Cry (1976) show tweed Fenders in the studio. I reckon it's a fair bet that the Music Man stuff was his live amp of choice - but not used on everything in the studio.
  • this is great, thankyou all. Gives me a great excuse to go and play lots of lovely sounding amps, cheers!!
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    I played a really tatty old Marshall in leamington spa once. Wish I'd bought it. Isn't he known for playing tweed champs, or am I in the wrong album?

• ICBM said:
    Post-Cream is all Fenders as far as I know.
    I know he was using some Fenders but he was clearly fussy about which ones as I remember reading that in 1976 he was complaining about the number of black faces around.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    drum roll :)

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited March 2015
    Yes, he toured with Musicman amps in mid 70s

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>