The Best Cider Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Dragging this up from the depths of TFB's database but it's nearing summer. 
     Anyway I rarely used to drink at home, just didn't bother for years unless the wifey forced me to. I've had a lot of time off work over the last month while the wife's been away and felt a bit thirsty one warm day. 3 Thatchers or Westons fora fiver, why not? By God it was a revelation. I'll try one of each I thought Thatchers Gold, Vintage and Katy, not noticing the last 2 are over 8%. Woke up next morning, no headache. Yay! (I get a stinking hangover from a pint sometimes, hangover roulette) let's repeat the experiment with Westons in case it was a fluke, same result.

So am now in month 2 of the experiment and I have concluded that drinking at home is now OK and cider is the tool of choice. 

I fancy trying a few "boutique" ciders along the vein of Thatchers or Westons.
     Any recommendations?

Where are you based? You might find some local brews :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thatchers gold, aspalls and stowford press are nice and dont give me heartburn.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Dragging this up from the depths of TFB's database but it's nearing summer. 
     Anyway I rarely used to drink at home, just didn't bother for years unless the wifey forced me to. I've had a lot of time off work over the last month while the wife's been away and felt a bit thirsty one warm day. 3 Thatchers or Westons fora fiver, why not? By God it was a revelation. I'll try one of each I thought Thatchers Gold, Vintage and Katy, not noticing the last 2 are over 8%. Woke up next morning, no headache. Yay! (I get a stinking hangover from a pint sometimes, hangover roulette) let's repeat the experiment with Westons in case it was a fluke, same result.

So am now in month 2 of the experiment and I have concluded that drinking at home is now OK and cider is the tool of choice. 

Any recommendations?

Where are you based? You might find some local brews :) 
    Deepest darkest Mordor (Leicestershire/Derbyshire border)

I may well pop down to this 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/leicestershire-sausage-cider-music-festival-2017-tickets-26516318021
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    Dragging this up from the depths of TFB's database but it's nearing summer. 

Any recommendations?
    Thatchers Old Rascal and Westerns Vintage hit the spot

• WezVWezV Frets: 16934
    we were trialling this last year

not sure what happened with it, but i still have quite a bit in my fridge.   Its really quite  nice, not overly sweet and sickly like you might expect from a pineapple cider
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited May 2017
    My neighbours kept on insisting bringing back this scrumpy in a plastic car screenwash style bottle with a Bull on a yellow label from Minehead and it tasted like piss from said bull that had a urinary infection... Absolutely disgusting. Would burn holes on any surface...

So plenty of ppl taking said piss by virtue of it labelled 'scrumpy'
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://www.winkleighcider.co.uk/

Closely followed by Sandford Orchards in Crediton

http://www.sandfordorchards.co.uk/

Though I do have a fondness/weakness for Orchard Pig as well.

Thank god it's friday, can go for a couple in an hour or so :)

Tonight consists of 

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I find with cider it's best to have about 6 varieties on tap and mix things up savour those apples 

Not a fan of Old Rosie

• Thatchers does another scrumpy called, er, scrumpy. :) 

I prefer it to old rosie. But old rosie is nice too. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I can't be doing with cider.  

I had a MAJOR episode of getting completely rat-arsed on it when I was 17 (including, but not limited to, throwing up all over my best mate's head, missing the last bus, and having to walk 8 miles home), and I can't even stand next to somebody else drinking it nowadays.

Beer is the answer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    I can't be doing with cider.  

I had a MAJOR episode of getting completely rat-arsed on it when I was 17 (including, but not limited to, throwing up all over my best mate's head, missing the last bus, and having to walk 8 miles home), and I can't even stand next to somebody else drinking it nowadays.

Beer is the answer.
    I had the same early teen experience with Southern Comfort, first time properly drunk, crawled up the drive to home (yes crawled not walked) dad dragged me through the house to my room and I woke up to a very bad hangover and sore knees. 
    That experience is so strongly ingrained into my memory and sense of smell that I still gag if I smell Southern Comfort. 
     Old Rosie gives me a headache so I'll stick to the fizzy clear stuff 

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Thatchers gold for me, love it.

The Weston`s "party pack" box is really nice and hits the spot if you can work your way through it in one sitting:

http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/shop/cider-selections/_product/17/cider-makers-choice/ ;
    not so much fizz but very smooth 

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited May 2017
    I cant believe 3 pages in and NO-ONES mentioned frosty Jack yet!, you guys have no taste. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3079
    edited May 2017
    ThtFlink_Poyd said:
    not so much fizz but very smooth 
    That's four bottles of circa 7% cider now...... Not sure I'd be able to walk, let alone play shooters on the PC, after that.