Lowden owners come on in...

Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
edited March 2015 in Acoustics
I have a Lowden O23 which I love, it sounds great and seems to have so much more going on than many acoustics. There is a 'but', though...

The O is a big guitar, and I'm coming to realise I would prefer something a little smaller for sitting around writing songs and such. I'm wondering how the F and S series guitars compare to the Os - sonically and ergonomically. Are the necks the same across all ranges, for instance?

Interested in any experience of the smaller bodied Lowdens...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    edited March 2015
    I'm maybe the wrong person as I also have an O, but I love it. It's a huge guitar, no doubt, but it just has an airiness and natural reverb that the F I compared it to didn't.

My comparison wasn't great as the O I've got is a 22 so mahogany back and sides, with a red cedar top. The F was IRW back and sides with a spruce top, so the tones will differ anyway.

Initially I found the F much easier to deal with playability wise, but I wasn't as keen on the tone. It just lacked something that the O22C had. After an hour or so if stopped noticing the size of the O and I kept wanting to pick that one up, so it's what I went for.

The F sounded more focused, with more a more fundamental tone. I liked the overtones that came with the O though. And the more balanced bass, mid and treble (although that is going to be the wood as opposed to the shape).

Necks were the same shape. I couldn't tell the difference. I think Lowdens have a standard neck profile that can be changed, but on custom orders.

Good luck with your search. Enjoy!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
    Thanks Chrisb50!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I have an S23 (cedar/walnut). Size wise it is perfect, but it has taken a few years for the sound to open up and develop in the bass register.

At a recent show I played a top of the range S50. I didn't like the sound at all (very trebly and no bass) and wouldn't have swapped it for my one.

However, the even smaller Wee Lowden's are lovely (balanced sound with a decent amount of bass), but very pricey.

If I was buying another Lowden I would get an F, but it would have to have an Adirondack top (the plain Spruce tops sound too stiff to me, and lack the overtones that you mentioned).

I find the O models a bit too big and the deeper body gives me problems with my shoulder.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I've got an early small bodied lowden. It's never getting sold.
    I forgot about this thread :) gas reignited!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31104
    I played an 035 in Wunjo last week....I had to go and buy some wet wipes to clean the thing off afterwards...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I've owned both an 025 and 035, and played any Lowden I've been able to get my grubbies on over the years.  If I were in the market for any acoustic guitar, I wouldn't look any further at this price point. 

The necks are all the same, unless they are custom ordered. The S & F models are just too small for me personally, although they are unmistakeably superb sounding, and aren't much different sonically from the cannon's that the 0's are.  If you're finding the 0's too big, the halfway point is an F, that's where I'd start. 
    When I play a D chord on the 0, it sounds like a mildly overdriven grand piano. It made all the Martins and such I compared it to sound like wet cardboard boxes. I may just have to live with the mild unwieldiness!
    I'm utterly gassing for this Lowden....it's the best Lowden I've ever played- and that's saying soemthing...utterly amazing

http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/acoustic-guitars/lowden-o-35-rwsp

I think I can get it for 2500..!

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited April 2015
    Here's my 035...a bloody cannon of a guitar....although I sold it for a 17" Archtop...now if you want to talk about a handful...

:)) :))

Wanna sell it?

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited April 2015
    Gassage said:

Wanna sell it?
    Already long gone James... one of those remorse/regret things all rolled into one... b-(.....anyway, you've got a business to get off the ground, stop pissing about .....  :))
  • Gassage said:
    I'm utterly gassing for this Lowden....it's the best Lowden I've ever played- and that's saying soemthing...utterly amazing

http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/acoustic-guitars/lowden-o-35-rwsp

I think I can get it for 2500..!

James, that sounds like a good price for an O35.

I have an F35 and a friend has an O25.  The O has a massive amount of bass.  Great sounding guitar.

A good F can be a joy to play... but it's worth trying a few and finding one that has enough bass that it can almost 'keep up with' an O.

^ this one is a monster...truly.

• Gassage said:
    ^ this one is a monster...truly.
    Well.... you know what you have to do. 
  • ... don't let it be the 'one that got away'.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2502
    I'd love one, although my acoustic playing isn't of the standard that would justify a £3000 acoustic guitar.. A cousin of mine many years ago owned Lowden serial #002, which he foolishly traded for a Gibson, which while a nice guitar, wasn't half the guitar the Lowden was.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    I've a McilRoy A30, which is superb and made by an ex Lowden employee.  Only acoustic I own that I like more is my Nigel Forster model c - a 12 fret OM style guitar