"being processed by customs" what happens next?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
Apologies if this has come up before - I know we've had a few threads about import but usually about the cost.

I've got a pedal on the way from the US via usps (Priority Mail Express International)   and the tracking as of 5pm yesterday said  "Your item is being processed by customs in UNITED KINGDOM"

I've not had that before - things have just arrived.   Possibly this will as well but if I have to pay duty will I have to wait for them to write to me or what happens?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited March 2015
    Probably turns up on Wednesday or Thursday normal post with charges to pay. Sometimes they just deliver the card and expect you to collect with cash. You are defo paying duty on this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Thanks -  we'll see if the pedal or a card turns up then.   
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16075
    Jail time
    tae be or not tae be
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 699
    It depends on the courier etc I have found.
    I've bought loads of stuff from the US over the years.

The courier may turn up with the item and ask for payment on delivery.
    You may get a letter with the charges then be asked to pay by phone, online or on collection from a depot.
    The last guitar I bought the courier actually rang me for payment, then it was delivered.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    John_P said:
     "Your item is being processed by customs in UNITED KINGDOM"

In my experience, that probably means that the item will be delivered in the UK by Royal Mail or ParcelForce.  When I've had couriers handle the UK end (eg DHL), I've not had that status message.

RM/PF require you to pay *before* they'll deliver.

The package gets shipped to your local depot once it's cleared customs, the local depot then sends you a letter asking you to pay the charges.  Once you've paid (easy, on-line), they deliver.  You can sometimes go and collect and pay at the counter.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Quick update -  I got a card through the door yesterday and a bill for £27 from customs today.   Better than I expected. 

So that's  4 days from Analogman posting it to get to the UK and another week to get to me. I'll happily order from Mike again.

It'l be the weekend before I can try it but it looks well made and smaller than I expected.    
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    What's the pedal?
    Analogman makes loads.
    Sassafras said:
    What's the pedal?
    Analogman makes loads.
    King of tone :)