Employment and making a big leap....

What's Hot

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 459
    Yes, I'm 50 as well...

To me the key points are:

1) Making sure you have a binding contract to get paid
    2) Having somebody on board who can do what you aren't so good at, i.e. monetising the project

Point 1 is obvious I realise
    Point 2 is really about finding somebody whose skills dovetail with yours, and a possible way of achieving this may be to work with a business coach.  I run a business (since 2008) and have worked with a business coach for about 3 years.  If you do this, you've really got to do your research, but if you find somebody who genuinely has the right skills and experience, this can be a very good way to do it.  Although you may have to pay a lot per hour to the right person, there are legitimate ways to recoup the costs.  Not something I want to post on the forum, but you can PM me for details, as I've been through this with some very good accountants.

If you can do what you love and make a good living, that will be great, but regarding point 1, I'm sure you're well aware that after you've made the introductions, many people will conveniently 'forget' that they'd agreed to bung you a 15% introduction fee!

Best of luck, live begins at 50!

Rich
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11962
    tFB Trader
    50 in July , so got that to look forward to..........

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31576
    Loads of good advice and I'm blessed with cybermates.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I can't offer sage advice or help, but I wish you well with it @Gassage :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10967
    You need to earn 4K a month and that's not a lot!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    I spend that on aftershave

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    You need to earn 4K a month and that's not a lot!
    I live in bloody Kew!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I work in marketing and decided to work for myself in 2000 and haven't looked back. Far more interesting work, I can choose my clients and work when I want to ... what's not to like?

Go for it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I just had 4 scrambled eggs on toast and feel like a king!

Best of luck if you go for this Gassage.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    £4k a month, wow!

My old employer took me on 18 months ago after I moved for more money - but it never worked out. The atmosphere is great and I get to work core hours, so get home to play lots of guitar! BUT I could be getting an extra £8k at least + share options and trips to the States with another company. Downside is bigger commute and pressure - likely less guitar time. If I leave again, it'd be a closed door. tricky. I could maybe contract in Europe but I don't know. I'm only 30, anyway! But I need mega amounts of money as housing is so expensive. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Any way you can cut down on expenses? You might not need some things when you get job satisfaction.
    My V key is broken
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    Gassage said:
    Can I ask,

Gain Line Communications/Marketing/Consulting (last word is irrelvent)

Do we like this?
    Will all due respect, Comms/Mktg/Consulting are all probably devalued to some extent.

The GainLine
    GainLine Partners
    GainLineGain

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    Go for it - to get to your position in life you should have excellent decision making abilities - so trust your instinct.

And...can I apply for the position of your bag carrier?

Previously known as stevebrum
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    are you going to arrange development training for these guys before placing them? Could assist with formalising commitment 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Can I be your fluffer?
    Thanks for all nice comments. I closed the deal on the Harley St thing yday at the game.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    No Pain, No Gain.

• It's never too late to work 9 to 5
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1459
    Another factor in all of this is the tax position. Depending on how you get set up you can become much more tax efficient and it's all legal. Get hold of a good accountant and get them to explain it over a pint.

My own industry I think is going to change- I am a Director of a 'Global consulting firm' in the construction sector. Rates for professionals are high due to corporate overheads and cost of employment  and the last few years have not been pretty. People are under pressure from big corporates to hit their numbers and it's hard yards. 

Imo we are going to see a change in model towards one where highly qualified and experienced people go self employed and can undercut the big consultancies by several hundred a day, the savings over a 2 year project can be substantial. It's too good a proposition to ignore and I think many clients are going to consider it. The downside is the lack of corporate back up and PI. 

Rugby and big corporate have gone hand in hand for many years. Many eke out a living on the after dinner and sporting club circuit. Others go into BD roles or end up as entrepreneurs doing property development or small training consultancies..... But you will know all this already. If you can find a value add and a differentiator then definately JFDI. Good luck and hope it works out
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    Schnozzalee;566497" said:
    Danny1969 said: You need to earn 4K a month and that's not a lot!

£4k a month, 29 year old partners and here's me getting excited over Soreen Malt Loaf...
    I always thought @Gassage was really David Gilmour.

I turns out he's really Elton John....

;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom