Replacing humbucker baseplate

Hi,

I have a Seymour Duncan invader which has a broken mounting leg, I see that Axesrus sell replacement baseplates for a few pounds and having removed the current baseplate, there is only one wire to solder before reassembling - so looks pretty straight forward.

On to the questions - 

The Axesrus baseplate comes in two sizes - 50mm or 52mm string spacing. The Invader isn't a particular size due to its large pole pieces and I'm unable to find any info to help me in my choice. Could anyone help me with the sizing, please?

The existing baseplate has a very thin layer of wax on it, do I need to replace this wax when replacing the baseplate?

Alternatively, I'm happy to have it repaired by someone and have the job done properly, so I have no issue with that suggestion :)

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 12001
    tFB Trader
    Okay ... to start with the base plates Axesrus sell are cheap Far eastern made ones ... and the likelihood is that they won't fit particularly well ... if at all. 
    Ideally your pickup should have it's baseplate 'potted' back on ... as it's a hi gain unit and therefore likely to be exposed to loud conditions where a loose magnet against the baseplate might cause squeal. This is all doable yourself but be careful.
    If you put up a pic of the broken baseplate and the dimensions I'll happily see if any of our plates match what you need. 
    Ash
    Oil City/ASL Pickups
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Thanks very much Ash, I had a feeling that there would be more to it.

68mm long (excluding mounting leg) x 36mm wide.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    edited March 2015
    I have a spare Duncan baseplate if you want it.

Complete with original wax… all you would need to do is put it on, gently warm it with a hairdryer and then tighten the brass screws before it cools.

PM me your details :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks very much for the offer, ICBM - that's most kind of you! I'm going to hand this over to Ash so as he can cast his expert eye over it. It sounds simple enough, but I'd rather not mess it up and end up with a squealing beast (poor excuse, I know!).

Thanks again!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    No problem. I can send him the baseplate to do it if it makes it easier and/or a better job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein