So What's Similar to a Hardwire CM2 Overdrive?

What's Hot
rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
Hello, noob here (although I use to post on other forums and have been lurking for a bit). Ive been borrowing my mates Hardwire overdrive for a while and have been really impressed at how it pushes my dirty amp into chunkyness. I really like the dual EQ and the extra tweaking that it gives you over a normal tubescreamer. He wants it back soon so I want to buy one for myself but was wondering what else is similar as I want to check out a few alternatives first. I really want something which can do the similar low gain tubescreamer type drive but with the dual EQ for more tone shaping. I'll be using it to tighten up a high gain head or push a medium gain amp. Cheers....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    I think for the money new or used you can't go wrong with getting a CM2 anyway!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The CM-2 is a favourite of mine.

Alternatives,

EHX East River drive, essentially a tube screamer by a different maker.

Boss SD-1 or DS-1 pretty much a "go-to" pedals for a lot of guitarists in a lot of genres.

Digitech Bad Monkey a cheap TS-alike pedal with treble/bass adjustments. Again a favourite.

Digitech Hothead pretty much a DS-1 with bass/treble controls rather than mids like the DS-1.

Hardwire SC-2 tube distortion, similar to the CM-2, but gain is a bit higher.

Marshall Guvnor (MK1) sounds almost identical to the CM-2.

Marshall Jackhammer, Guvnor2, Drivemaster, Shredmaster all pretty much "Marshall in a box" type drives.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17718
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    If you are looking for something in a similar price range and it has to have more than just a tone control then there is very little to touch it.

The Bad Monkey is a cheaper version, but I think it's worth the extra for the Hardwire. 

At a similar price the only thing I can think of is the Mooer Flex Boost which is based on the Xotic AC.

If you didn't mind spending a bit more then you could look at something like the TC Mojo Mojo or the Spark Boost or my personal favorite the MXR Badass OD.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

If you didn't mind spending a bit more then you could look at something like the TC Mojo Mojo or the Spark Boost or my personal favorite the MXR Badass OD.
    The MXR Badass OD is great.  I would recommend it over the Mojo and Spark Boost,  having previously owned all three.  
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    If you like the CM2, stick with it.  I've used a Bad Monkey and it was a bit muffled through the amp, wasn't very clear (even with bass dropped)

The CM2 is the best for the buck

Going higher you're looking at some boutique TS variants, but if you like the CM2, there isn't much need :)  

Maybe a Boss SD1 for driving an amp, it gets great reviews for that
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Garagetone Drivetrain is another relatively affordable TS style pedal with added bass control. Based on the old Reverend Drivetrain which was a well regarded boutique TS style pedal ( in the days when Reverend built stuff by hand in the US).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Thanks for the replies. I don't mind spending more money i.e. £100+. I was looking at things like the Mojo Hand Rook, Mesa Flux Drive, Xotic BB, Timmy, TC Mojo Mojo, etc, but I don't know if they are similar to the Hardwire or not, or maybe even give me more of what I want.....
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    bad monkey's probably the closest out of what i've tried, but as joeyowen said it's not quite as good and a bit muffled-sounding (though in saying that it maybe sounds slightly closer to a tubescreamer, too).

pretty much with monquixote, if you know you liked the hardwire it's cheap enough that it's probably the thing to get.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Timmy would be a great shout
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    If you've found an OD you like then I'd stick with it unless you want to spend loads of money in a never ending quest for the "perfect" tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    OK, maybe I'll just stick with the Hardwire then. From what you're saying It seems to be one of the best bang-for-buck overdrives out there....
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    Have a wisdom dear boy. Welcome to the team.
    Thanks for the wisdom DesVegas, I feel more clevererer already!..... :-)
    tFB Trader
    rawk100 said:
    Thanks for the replies. I don't mind spending more money i.e. £100+. I was looking at things like the Mojo Hand Rook, Mesa Flux Drive, Xotic BB, Timmy, TC Mojo Mojo, etc, but I don't know if they are similar to the Hardwire or not, or maybe even give me more of what I want.....
    I'd go for an AC over a BB. I think the BB is meant to be used more into a clean channel whereas the AC is more for pushing an amp.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    monquixote , 
    No Liquid Sunshine recommendation?
    Has your sponsorship deal with Subdecay fallen through?
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Not what I'd recommend an LS for really.

It doesn't have any EQ and compared to a CM-2 it has much less gain.

Subdecay make the Supernova Drive and Variac which would probably be closer to that kind of thing, but I haven't tried either.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7613
    Xotic AC is good and has dual EQ. I used one for ages.

Xotic BB is different again but does do low gain really well as well as its better known lead duties. The custom shop BB MB model is one of the most usably versatile pedals I've owned.

The pedal I have re bought most often though is the CM-2
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm tempted to give an Xotic BB a go, it's a pedal that I've thought about getting before but never actually tried.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7613
    They are great (imo) and if you buy used hold their value so can be moved on 
    Red ones are better.