Mac...thunderbolt or firewire?

2»

Comments

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    the availability of thunderbolt has not long really hit mainstream, and it's quite expensive, I've just moved from firewire to thunderbolt and the interface caused £2k so it's all a weight up, you can get some quality bang for your buck firewire interfaces, I've been with a digidesign rack003 and rack003+ for a good many years now, and while not the best possible firewire device its certainly a very good bang for your buck especially in the used market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    One thing to watch out for is with bus-powered interfaces; AFAIK Thunderbolt cannot supply as much power as Firewire, so Thunderbolt interfaces are more likely to need a separate power supply, especially if they also have phantom power on the mic inputs.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Deijavoo said:
    My Apogee Duet uses firewire and I'm pretty happy with it. I would like to connect loads of shit to my TB port but haven't had the need yet.

My Duet runs off USB and is fine. I use fire wise for my time machine back up drive and link an external SSD as a boot drive thunderbolt