People /shows that were funny once... but no longer...

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    I used to see Hale and Pace when they were part of Fundation down at the Woolwich Tramshed. I sometimes wonder what happened to the brilliant performers I used to see when I saw them on telly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I used to think Whose Line is it Anyway was brilliant. That has not aged well, seen a bit on Gold ( or somesuch) and oh dear God what was I thinking.... :(
     I've usually found improvised comedy excruciating and cringeworthy so I know what you're saying.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    Sassafras said:
    I used to think Whose Line is it Anyway was brilliant. That has not aged well, seen a bit on Gold ( or somesuch) and oh dear God what was I thinking.... :(
     I've usually found improvised comedy excruciating and cringeworthy so I know what you're saying.

I think I probably had some naivety around it and was amazed at how clever I thought everyone was, now I would see the set ups coming from a mile off.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Remember John Sessions on the Spot? That was probably the zenith (i.e. nadir) for the improv vogue.

I'm sure someone finds it funny and this is purely personal taste, but whenever I see Paul Merton's 'Improv Chums' tour advertised, I cringe a little.

(And away from Radio 4 does anyone actually use the word chum if not referring to dog food?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    Never Mind the Buzzcocks.  Hasn't been funny since Mark Lamarr left.  The new ones aren't quite as bad as when Simon Amstell was doing them but they are still pretty poor.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Jack Dee. I used to like is dead pan style but now I just think he should cheer up a bit.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I think it would be much harder to come up with a list of things that have stayed funny.

Even very funny things become a victim of their own successes. Richard Curtiss and Douglas Adams and Bill Hicks and Monty Python and Terry Pratchett etc feel like parodies of themselves nowadays because every teenager since they were new has adopted little chunks and recited them until they stopped being funny.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    That one from Lee and Herring that didn't write the Jerry Springer Opera. We saw him live a few years ago and he was awful, just came across as a nasty and very bitter bloke.

The other one from Lee and Herring (that did write Jerry Springer the Opera) seems to be quite nasty and bitter as well.

However I did used to enjoy TMWRNJ and Fist of Fun.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    I think all comedians and comedies have a shortish shelf life. more pertinent question would be who from 80/90/00s is still funny...

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Perhaps we should be asking ourselves why Michael MacIntyre is considered funny?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    Perhaps we should be asking ourselves why Michael MacIntyre is considered funny?
    He's focus-group funny. And we all know how good focus-group-oriented things are.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    That one from Lee and Herring that didn't write the Jerry Springer Opera. We saw him live a few years ago and he was awful, just came across as a nasty and very bitter bloke.

The other one from Lee and Herring (that did write Jerry Springer the Opera) seems to be quite nasty and bitter as well.

I loved those shows so much.

Can't believe they got away with stuff like "P.S. I am wanking as I write this" on a Sunday lunchtime on BBC2.

• That one from Lee and Herring that didn't write the Jerry Springer Opera. We saw him live a few years ago and he was awful, just came across as a nasty and very bitter bloke.

paging @Bucket for some back up re Stewart Lee..

• That one from Lee and Herring that didn't write the Jerry Springer Opera. We saw him live a few years ago and he was awful, just came across as a nasty and very bitter bloke.

When I was out with my  ex, I saw Stewart Lee walking around Salisbury market square. He looked fat and depressed.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    He's married to Bridget Christie and she's quite funny but maybe she's brought him down.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    edited March 2015
    The thing (can't recall the title) with Martin Clunes, Neil Morrisey, etc. First series was funny, but essentially it had only one theme which was Neil Morrisey trying to get off with the Lesley Ash character. Wore a bit thin by series three or whatever it went up to. 

Any of Hi-de-hi or its offshoots. Oh wait, they were never funny we're they.?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    HAL9000;569345" said:
    The thing (can't recall the title) with Martin Clunes, Neil Morrisey, etc. First series was funny, but essentially it had only one theme which was Neil Morrisey trying to get off with the Lesley Ash character. Wore a bit thin by series three or whatever it went up to. 

Men Behaving Badly...
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Monty Python. I watched some the other day and I can't see what was hilarious.
  • Peter Kay

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Wolfetone;569474" said:
    Monty Python. I watched some the other day and I can't see what was hilarious.
    The films are great (2 of them) but I agree with 90% of their output is not great

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1