Help!!!!!!! Downloading music "that isnt on itunes and may not cost anything" if you get my drift

What's Hot
I have to do a disco playlist for tomorrow nights gig (which is actually my wifes 40th)

can i do this in a way that wont bankrupt me if you understand me?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Spotify works great if you don't care about compensating musicians and songwriters for their efforts.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Spotify works great if you don't care about compensating musicians and songwriters for their efforts.

As compared to illegally downloading music like most people do.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • well, normally i would worry about that but the shit i am having to do is 90;s dance and no one deserves to be compensated for that

How does spotify work - will it let be store the music on an itunes playlist
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

Yes, both examples of eminently cuntifular behaviour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    well, normally i would worry about that but the shit i am having to do is 90;s dance and no one deserves to be compensated for that

How does spotify work - will it let be store the music on an itunes playlist
    It has it's own app, but you can make a playlist and mark it offline if you want to use it away from a network.
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Presumably artists can opt out if they so desire.
    Are there any stats on what percentage of the cash you pay goes to artists?
    They have £120 a year out of me and I would hope a decent percentage of that goes to musicians.
    edited October 2013
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

They have £120 a year out of me and I would hope a decent percentage of that goes to musicians.
    It does not.
    They pay a tiny, tiny percentage to artists.

I have a bunch of tracks that I've worked on up on Spotify.
    I get paid virtually nothing, especially compared to the other sources.

There is a lot of information up on the web- a quick googling of 'Spotify rips-off artists' should enlighten you.

Some artists can opt out- some artists cannot- it depends on the contract they have with the label.
    I'm not going to say people shouldn't use Spotify or Pandora, but they need to realise that artists are getting monumentally screwed- more than they ever have been before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    It does not.

There is a lot of information up on the web- a quick googling of 'Spotify rips-off artists' should enlighten you.

Some artists can opt out- some artists cannot- it depends on the contract they have with the label.
    I'm not going to say people shouldn't use Spotify or Pandora, but they need to realise that artists are getting monumentally screwed- more than they ever have been before.
    I just googled it. Spotify claim that they give 70% of revenue to the rightsholders. 
    The suggestion is that it is the record labels screwing the artists rather than Spotify. 
    Do any of the other streaming services give a better percentage than Spotify?
    Looking at what a premium play gets a user apparently it's 1.5c which does seem rather low as that equates an itunes purchase to about 40 odd listens. 
  • Alternatively you could post the names of the track you require and some nice folks might send them your way - for a non-profitable listen of course! ;)
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited October 2013
    octatonic said:
    It does not.

I just googled it. Spotify claim that they give 70% of revenue to the rightsholders. 
    The suggestion is that it is the record labels screwing the artists rather than Spotify. 
    Do any of the other streaming services give a better percentage than Spotify?
    Looking at what a premium play gets a user apparently it's 1.5c which does seem rather low as that equates an itunes purchase to about 40 odd listens. 
    No, it is Spotify who are paying pennies.
    They don't publish data on the deals they have with artists but I can tell you it is less than 0.1p per stream (for the stuff I'm on, or I produced).

Amazon/Bandcamp/iTunes pay more.
    Pandora are pretty poor too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • yeah - all that

but can spotify playlists appear in itunes so i can use the function in itunes that fades one song into another

yeah - all that

but can spotify playlists appear in itunes so i can use the function in itunes that fades one song into another

No.
  • and i take it spotify has no fade fucntion

tFB Trader
    yeah - all that

I don't know what functions iTunes offers, but you can make playlists in the Spotify app and then have them play back with crossfading between the tracks. 

You can also get mp3s of anything you have ever bought from Amazon via autorip.
    and i take it spotify has no fade fucntion

I don't have the current version of it (and don't use it anymore) but it never used to.
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    and i take it spotify has no fade fucntion

I don't have the current version of it (and don't use it anymore) but it never used to.
    It does now with a selectable crossfade period.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Frank Gambal did a blog about it. 17,000 plays of one of his songs earned him 15 cents. So that is 0.0008 cents per play.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;54493" said:
    octatonic said:

Illegal downloads hurt record companies more than the average musician.

Spotify hurts the average musician greatly, arguably more so than illegal downloads. It makes the listener feel all warm and happy because it's legal, and that listener is the same law abiding listener who would have bought the music if Spotify wasn't there. And I'm guilty, I've not bought tracks because I've used Spotify - but I have discovered music that I then bought on iTunes so it's a bit of a double edged sword.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Back on topic, surely you just need any random 90s dance hit & hit repeat? Nobody will know.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom