Can't decide if this looks awesome or naff...carbon fibre skin

What's Hot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-or-Red-Carbon-Fibre-Skin-Wrap-Vinyl-for-Electric-Guitar-Air-Lease-Sticker-/171431812028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&var=&hash=item27ea21dbbc

Can't quite put my finger on it, but do you guys know what I mean? Kind of looks like when you find a jacket that looks awesome on the hanger in the shop, but then when you put it on you look like a plank.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Looks cool. But definitely think it's one of those things that'll look naff when you get past the initial wow factor... Tough call as there was a time when CF was cool, now I think it might have been done to death. Like matt finishes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9887
    Yeah that's what I mean I think, at first glance it looks cool. I do like matt finishes (not just because it's my name) as well though so maybe I should stop worrying as "taste" has not occurred to me as yet :)
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    It screams 'boy racer wannabe' and cheap, sorry if I pissed on your bonfire there, but you asked for opinions.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    @JudasVigilante had this done to his Harley Benton tele in the modding challenge. Loads of pics in this thread here.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    See now that looks really good on a Tele... Now I'm conflicted...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9887
    That does look brilliant on the Tele! I was thinking of it on an LP or SG type thing which I think may be a bit much on those - the Tele being smaller and with more hardware, makes it look brilliant. And that pickguard!!!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    @JudasVigilante had this done to his Harley Benton tele in the modding challenge. Loads of pics in this thread here.

that had completely passed me by, that amazing. The wrap looks miles better on that than in the eBay link.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like it. Only in black, though, I think..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Meh. Carbon Fibre should stick to aeroplanes and BMW/Audi interiors.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I quite like it but I wouldn't have it personally.
  • If I can add my 2 cents worth. The link to ebay and the carbon fibre wrap therein I'd be careful about. The wrap for just the body of my Tele was just under £40 plus I had to pay my brother in law a couple bottles of wine and sweets for the kids to fit it.!!
    The guy on Ebay is charging £24 for front, back and neck. That's a lot for not a lot of money. You may well save money by going to an online auto styler and buying 1m from there direct. It'll be the same stuff, maybe even better quality.
    These are the main guys in Uk and where I bought mine from at a local store to me:

www.mdpsupplies.co.uk

I wish you the best on your carbon fibre journey and if I can be of any assistance, send me a question and I'll do my best to help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh and thanks folks for the nice comments about my modded guitar. Glad you like. All the best.
  • Oh and, me again, don't do the neck like the guy on the 'bay. But that's just common sense. There's a pattern/texture to CF wrap that I can't imagine anyone finding good on the neck of a guitar. Right, finished now.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 750
    I do like these real carbon fibre guitars:
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wow, never saw one of those before. What brand is that?
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 750

wow, never saw one of those before. What brand is that?
    http://www.emeraldguitars.com/acoustic/
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • wow, really high tech looking accoustics. Like something from Ridley Scotts Alien. Wonder how good/bad they sound?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10709
    tFB Trader
    that's interesting ... I've been thinking of doing carbon fibre bobbins or pickup covers
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    wow, really high tech looking accoustics. Like something from Ridley Scotts Alien. Wonder how good/bad they sound?

On their website are a number of demo videos of each model. To my ears, the smaller ones are a bit harsh, but the larger ones are quite something... The tiny 12 string is amazing, though...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    CF come across as cheap looking - a bit plasticy. I have a CF mountain bike and despite the size, the CF makes it look like a toy!