How do i fix this?

What's Hot
BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
edited March 2015 in Making & Modding
Not a great pic but it looks like a burn mark plus and an "A" is scratched into the plastic. it's pretty deep. Anyone with a brilliant suggestion?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    There are few things in life that can't be fixed with a few well placed blows from your trusty hammer or mallet.

Or is that stressful situations, it's one of the two ayway.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11043
    So now we know what really happened to your fingers
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    I can't see the pic - but is it damage to a pickguard, if it's "into the plastic"?

If so, replace the guard. There's no other practical way of doing a decent job... other than putting a sticker over it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I can't see any pic either but if it's a scratchplate, it can be sanded and polished.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    hmm. reuploaded. linking to google drive doesnt work. Might have been a permission problem. Cheers for the help guys.

@ICBM the pic works now. definitely no cure? 

@sassafras sand and polish a plastic scratchplate? I'll have a poke round the internet for examples/info on suitable sandpaper etc. cheers.
    Branshen said:
    @ICBM the pic works now. definitely no cure?
    Not really. You could sand and polish it as sassafras said, but the 'A' looks pretty deep, and you never get back the correct surface finish anyway - if that matters. Given the huge amount of effort it would take, the fact that it still won't look quite right and that it's a common pickguard shape and not expensive to replace, I would just replace it. You don't need to even take the pickup out or anything on a Jazz Bass.

If it's a sunburst Jazz you could improve it at the same time by putting a torty one on too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501

I would probably just replace the guard.

I wouldn't be happy with a divot in place of the letter so it would mean re-levelling the whole thing.  Its 3-ply so more black will show through the deeper you go.  There is no easy way to fill it that will match nicely.  The discoloured area is quite large.

or course, you could try all the other solutions first and not really lose anything -  but i bet you end up replacing the guard or learning to live with the damage

@ICBM Been watching Gran Torino lately? ;)

Cheers fellas. I do like the idea of a tortoise guard. Or perhaps just duct tape over it, it doesn't have to look pristine, I jsut dont want to be associated with the punk movement. I'll have a think. 
    Branshen said:
    @ICBM Been watching Gran Torino lately? ;)

… Or perhaps just duct tape over it
    True enough :). It does still apply!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    ICBM said:

If it's a sunburst Jazz you could improve it at the same time by putting a torty one on too...
    This.  Or not, but just get a replacement.  It's a £10 problem at most.

Keep the original if you think it has some magic cork sniffing properties worth retaining.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I cant just order off the net right? Isnt there sizing problems like strat guards? I know those are a massive headache, having gone through the replacement of one before.

This is a knockoff westfield jazz bass.
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    Sassafras said:
    I can't see any pic either but if it's a scratchplate, it can be sanded and polished.
    You could try some wet and dry paper and then Tcut it it might work

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited March 2015
    If it was me, before I replace the pickguard I might first try putting a bleach soaked rag on it overnight to see if it will get rid of the discolouration. Failing that, white nail polish followed by sanding and buffing. Will probably be far from perfect but might not look so noticeable from afar.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Ah, that looks more serious than I imagined so sanding it would take ages and the black would show through eventually.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    sheet of material from flea bay, use the old one as a template for your new one, job jobbed