I think I need a compressor again...

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
So after having a compressor on my board (always on) for a good few years, i decided to take it off about 6 months ago and got all natural. I felt naked for a while, but soon got use to it and embraced the freedom of my picking dynamics (or lack thereof)

Yesterday, i was listening to a couple of recordings of guitar tracks that i did not too long ago...and it made me cringe, mainly on clean passages but also on distorted tones...not having comp makes a huge difference, and i dont like it.

I then went and listened to older stuff which i used a comp pedal on, and instantly thought, this was a better sound and tone...and just felt more polished.

This morning in the shower i was thinking about it...and i was thinking...maybe this is a wake up call that i need to improve my guitar playing skills and not rely on a pedal...maybe its me, and my pick attack is shit...and instead of forking out money for a pedal...i should learn how to pick properly and even out my attack on the strings.

I think some of the issue in my technique probably arose when i had the comp pedal, because that pedal gave me freedom to smash into the strings as hard as possible and not really care...now without the blanket of the comp it reveals my shit playing...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12961
    You could always add compression to the recordings after the fact.

Nearly everyone compresses in the studio, doesn't mean you always need to be using compression on your pedal board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5174
    ^ yeah, that.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    If you sound better using a compressor then use a compressor. Dont sweat it. Enjoy yourself its later than you think!
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Sometimes however hard you try or cleanly you pick, a little bit of help is needed. I don't use a Comp all the time but it gives me a push when I need it.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Skarloey said:
    Sometimes however hard you try or cleanly you pick, a little bit of help is needed. I don't use a Comp all the time but it gives me a push when I need it.
    i like this answer...its ok that i'm shit at picking!
    samzadgan;570241" said:
    Skarloey said:

i like this answer...its ok that i'm shit at picking!
    If it's any consolation have a think about all those shit hot Nashville Chicken Pickers who technically are great but who always have the comp on. ;)
    so now i've spend the best part of 2 hours looking Ovnil website, reading reviews.

I did go through a big search a few years ago, and landed on the analogman bi-comp, after a long stint with the mxr custom comp, which is also great.

but now im thinking i wouldnt mind trying something different...

he has so many reviews on that site...
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    samzadgan said:
    but now im thinking i wouldnt mind trying something different...

Xotic SP. Absolutely love it. It just makes everything sound better. The blend control means you can dial in as much or as little of your shit picking as you would like. I dial most of mine out.
    just a note...it will be on during very overly distorted and fuzzed out tones too...so cant be adding to the mush...

i looked at the acountant and the SP...they seem pretty cool, especially small footprint.

i'm also tempted to get Ovnil's comp pedal...you would have to believe that a guy that has that kind of site would make the best comp pedal...right? 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    samzadgan said:
    just a note...it will be on during very overly distorted and fuzzed out tones too...so cant be adding to the mush...

i looked at the acountant and the SP...they seem pretty cool, especially small footprint.

i'm also tempted to get Ovnil's comp pedal...you would have to believe that a guy that has that kind of site would make the best comp pedal...right? 
    IIRC, the Ovnii chap is a bass player, but probably still valid for guitar. If you're using the comp on heavily distorted and fuzzed out tones, I'd think that a blend control would be even more useful to prevent further mush. I've tried a few compressors but sold them all and stopped looking when I got the SP. Works well as a clean boost too with the blend all the way off.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'd say Rothwell or diamond for a subtle always on comp.
    edited March 2015
    @gavhaus the one thing that put me off the accountant is the fact that it distorts quite easily...according to Ovnil...not sure if that would be useable for me in that context...have you had that experience with it?

also...im leaning towards the EQD Warden...for obvious reasons...
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7215
    it doesnt distort... but it does have it's own voice. Watch a whole bunch of youtube videos of it; its the only way you'll get a feel of it. If you PM me your email address, I've just done a bit of demo recording this weekend (nothing fancy, just an SM58 on the twin) which was fully Accountanted up - I'll send it across for you.
    cool man...
  • guitarpologuitarpolo Frets: 120
    If you're after a more-often-on-than-off-tone-enhancing-non-uber-squish-turn-on-and-think-"ooo, that sounds REALLY nice" compressor, I recommend trying the Diamond Comp. Run it at 18 v for best results (apparently). I think there's a small version out now too.
    Have you thought of a comp with a blend knob?

I've got the very cheap Dr J aerolite comp and I plumped for it in the end because of the blend.

I like the idea in a comp pedal. Means you can go from the merest helping hand to all out squish.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Branshen said:
    I'd say Rothwell or diamond for a subtle always on comp.
    http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/rothwell.shtml

Just so happen to have one for sale :) (only cos I'm not gigging, no way I'd part with it otherwise)
    i've already done the orange squeezer type comp...i didn't mind it...but want something with a different flavour.