"High End" solid state/amp modelling/valve amp style emulation.

What's Hot
Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
So I'm probably looking for something that cannot be done but I was wondering if there's any suggestions on an amp that I could use at home that could emulate a valve amp without blowing the house up.

I would like to hook it up to my PC and be able to record too, I've got a THR at the moment but as the speakers are quite small and "focused" I would like something that has a bit more of a bigger/fuller sound.

I love valve amps and I love the dynamics that they give but I live in a place where if someone starts shouting/a baby crying you could hear it.  The neighbours are pretty good and they don't bang on the walls etc but I don't want to piss them off by trying to drive a valve amp at a decent volume and the low watters just feel a bit naff at very low volume.  

So I would like something that's versatile that has the option to record and can get some decent "amped" tones but isn't very loud.

Am I looking for the moon a stick?  

Apologies in advance because I know this post is a little bit waffley and not very specific.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    Have you looked at the Laney IRT15 studio ? Pretty good sound and ability to hop down to 1w plus the studio recording covered.
    The demos I've looked at on these are pretty impressive..of course you would need a small 1x12 cab too
    Alt I have the Blackstar ID30 as my main user at home...I'm really stonked with it... master volume plus delay, reverb etc & headphones & MP3 input to play along with. Hooks up to PC too but I've not experimented with that yet.
    Great sound at low volumes.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Not the moon but maybe a quite large asteroid!

There is a wide spectrum of opinion about getting THE best guitar sound, both "in the room" and "in the can".

The purist will say you need a 4x12 fed from an all valve 100 watter running at 120dB SPL, At the other end of the spectrum you will be told to just plug the guitar into a 75quid AI and use some free sound mangling software!

But I shall commit a shameless spam and say "ID 15 or 30" or even an ID Core!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    The Blackstar IDs are very good. Personally I would go for the ID60 even if you don't remotely need that much power, I think it's just a better-spec'ed and better-sounding amp than the 15 or 30.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Think Johnny @hertz32 or his Gf picked up a id60 and adored it and can prob give heads up on the recording  aspects
    An idea of budget might be useful too to narrow the possibilities
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    A Zoom G3 and a keyboard amp?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I actually own the Laney IRT Studio and barry's right. My GF does have the ID:TVP 60. Both are very, very good although I'd take the Laney out of preference. The option to reamp is invaluable, as is the DI out function. Only thing I will say is that it's 2 channels really. Not 3, as the Clean and Rhythm share tone controls etc. And if you set it up for a killer clean, it tends to sound naff as a dirty rhythm.

The Laney plays real nice, but the 4 channels of the B* are fantastic to have, as is the fact that you can emulate 6L6 tubes which I love, rather than being stuck with EL84's in the laney. If you are in no rush, I'll see if I can get more familiar with her B* and give a more full report :) you'd have to play both though and see which suits.

Fwiw, the Laney records in >1W by default and you cant change that.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31629
    Just turn the valve amp down?
    I think too much is made of "driving the power section", most of us are not in Deep Purple.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Software emulation is pretty good these days
    Amplitude and a decent set of studio monitors for your PC will give you all sorts of options
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited March 2015
    Cheers fellas!

Budget?  I have about 10p at the moment haha, just getting a few ideas really!  I have a Core: ID 10 but the ambient hissing that comes out of it I find a bit of a distraction!  Though the crunch models sound rather nice so I'll have a little tool around on that before I scrap enough bunce together to see if I can get one of the TVP models.

If you don't mind having a little dabble on your GF's B* and give me your thoughts that would be very much appreciated!

Ta!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11940
    Amplitube is the best value option
  • Lepou has some amazing models for free, if you already have some cab emulation.

Lepou 456 is epic.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Blackstar HT5 ... I recently dug mine out and am enjoying playing again. The emulated out allows you to plug it into your computer to record - it sounds pretty good and an FX loop allows you to connect your pedals. There's also an HT1.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Depends whether you want a more conventional amp or whether you want to go for a software/hardware modeller.  I don't know much about the amps so I'll defer to others on that.  For the modellers the key is to get a half decent set of studio monitors as @cabicular said.

If you want to record then decent studio monitors would be a good investment anyway.  I'm a bit spoiled with my equipment, but I would say from personal experience that Kemper through studio monitors > Lazy J at the kind of volumes I can get away with most of the time at home.