Vox 847 Wah Pedal Make it sound good

What's Hot
guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
I brought a Vox Wah many years ago and could never get a decent sound with it. Any one used one before and how did you improve the tone... (run over it with a large lorry?). To me it just sounds so shrill and weak.

My chain
Guitar>Wah>OD>DIST>Delay>Marshall Amp

“Ken sent me.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    tFB Trader
    It could be thatyou have the treadle too far rotated round so you are getting mainly the treble end of the sweep.

This can be adjusted if you go inside and move the rack and pinion to a different part of the rotation of the pot that governs where in the sweep you are - check a video onYoutube first to see if this is the case - try this one for starters...

However the Vox is already a much brighter sounding wah than the Dunlop and it may simply be that you'd get on better with a Dunlop wah 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Thanks Feline,

As I have got nothing to loose, i might as well try this, if not it's a nice £80 paperweight.

“Ken sent me.”
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

What OD/Distortions are you using, as I find my 847 works better with a more old school sound.

For a higher gain tone the Kirk Hammett and EVH Crybaby's and Ibanez Weeping Demon are better.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Moving the treadle was the first thing I did with a jen wah in '90.. easy and reversible - get in there!

Castledines DIY mods I've done on several wah pedals since, they're good
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited March 2015
    I use one of those Vox wahs too, and had 'serious problems' (of the First World variety, you understand) when it suddenly started sounding thin and pathetic after a board re-organisation. I ended up having to re-re-organise and put my fuzz in front and disto/ overdrives after it (as @guitartango has). It now sounds very nice and I therefore deduce that placement is the key... mine also has been true-bypass modded and has a replacement pot which meant I set the treadle position when I installed it.

I much prefer my ancient JEN, but use the Vox because the JEN doesn't have a DC input. I suppose it's an easy mod, but I'm too lazy/ stupid to do it!
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Cheers all

Here is my set up

Guitar>Wah>Rothwell Booster>BD2-OD3>DS1>OKKO DIABLO>Nova Reaper>Marshall 1974x

When playing clean the Wah sounds really brittle, sounds better with some OD or DS1 turned on. Maybe i need a little OD before the Wah or remove it from my board.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    The Castlediine mods  improved my V487, but I'd advise doing them one at a time so you can hear the effect of each, not do them all in go like I did...

Best mod was true bypass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom