John Renbourn RIP

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    It seems the news is that Pentangle guitarist John Renbourn has passed away today.

Not on any news site yet, but reported on Gordon Giltrap's FB page. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Sad news .. there are a few threads on this in various places .. perhaps we could consolidate them.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Aw man. Saw him once live and he was excellent.
    Evilmags said:
    Aw man. Saw him once live and he was excellent.
    Check out the early Pentangle albums.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Aww no - RIP

British legend.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    :(

I've always been a big fan of his and have seen him several play times over the years - he was almost always fantastic. I loved the way he blended blues and jazz into what was basically a folk style - that was a big influence on me as a player. Unfortunately the last time last summer, he didn't seem quite 'with it', and I wondered if he was possibly ill - I hope that wasn't related to this news. I'm very sad that will be the very last time now… but I'll remember him for all the better times.

RIP John.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I remember all the early Pentangle stuff. A very talented musician and an inspiration to most acoustic players. RIP
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    Fretwired said:
    One of my favourite players RIP
    One of mine too.  He always looked so relaxed when he was playing
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

Saw him help Isaac Guillory out at Isaac's penultimate gig at the South Bank (Purcell Room, iirc). They were good together.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    edited March 2015
    ICBM said:

I've always been a big fan of his and have seen him several play times over the years - he was almost always fantastic. I loved the way he blended blues and jazz into what was basically a folk style - that was a big influence on me as a player. Unfortunately the last time last summer, he didn't seem quite 'with it', and I wondered if he was possibly ill - I hope that wasn't related to this news. I'm very sad that will be the very last time now… but I'll remember him for all the better times.

RIP John.
    he was very with it, and playing very well on Saturday, in very good spirits, and having a good time, I'm glad to say.
    I hope I am able to be living life so fully up until the last week too, hats off to John
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    That's really good to hear, thanks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• very sad indeed
    Old Is Gold
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Sad news, I loved his work with Pentangle and had some of his solo releases.  "The Hermit" is an old favorite. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Oh thats so sad. Really liked his playing. Complemented Bert Jansch very well in Pentangle but even more so on the fantastic Jack Orion album. Ive got a instructional book for learning fingerstyle by him with audio cds. I got a lot from that when i was really working on my acoustic playing. And he always came acrpss as a very gentle and genial person as well.

Album recommendations?
    Jack Orion
    Bert And John
    The Guitar Of John Renbourn   
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    I thought Gordon Giltrap had gone...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Skarloey said:
    On a mobile so can't post a link, but there's a lovely tribute by Pete Paphides on The Guardian website. Well worth reading.

Good find .....

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/27/john-renbourn-ceaseless-explorer-of-song-pentangle-folk-appreciation

• tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Just looked through his stuff on Youtube being a contemporary who reaches 70 later this year I am crossing fingers that there is not a cut off for acoustic guitar players at this age  A very very good player and comes across as a nice bloke I did not buy all the alternative tunings stuff but looking at his lute playing and classical playing a damn good musician and will be missed. I have Bert Jansch on his DVD with both of them playing together