Second Job

What's Hot
lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
Fuck me I'm tired. Due to a combination of my inability to look after money in an adult manner, no overtime this year as yet, my job not paying me quite enough, booking 2 million holidays this year and my selfish so called mate getting married and having a stag do in Hamburg I've had to bite the bullet and get back behind the bar and pull a few shifts a week.

First one was last night, started at 5pm finished at 2am after doing an 8am-4pm shift in my day job. I'm back in later probably till 4am. 

Apart from selling drugs and/or male prostitution anyone got any easier ways to make a few quid on the side?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I'm doing some 'plumbers mate' work for one of the maintenance guys here at work who has a plumbing business on the side. A couple Saturdays a month depending on his work load. Other than that I've been doing a bit of a de-gas, but my stock is almost empty.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Politics?

Why not make your instruments and musical skills earn you something?

admittedly neither are quick-fix solutions
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Unsecured debt is your friend here ....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Is love to do that, or any Saturday day job. Don't seem to be many around these days though. If I lived back home I'd be able to do a few different things with mates but up in Manchester I only seem to know bar men/managers...ah well will clear £800 a month so not too much complaining. I'll be happy if I last 3 months, 5 years ago it would be easy. Feeling it today.

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Teach beginners guitar, all you gotta do is be able to talk to children and teach then open chords and strumming patterns. £10 an hour is the minimum that mothers expect a tutor to be too. If you're any good you could charge £30 and still get away with it easy enough.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    I've too many skeletons for politics, I'm not a massive knobend either (quiet) so doubt Id fit in....

I'd love to earn cash from guitar, I'd feel a bit of a fraud teaching though and my house isn't set up for visitors, though it is something I could maybe work towards....

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Hertz32 said:
    Teach beginners guitar, all you gotta do is be able to talk to children and teach then open chords and strumming patterns. £10 an hour is the minimum that mothers expect a tutor to be too. If you're any good you could charge £30 and still get away with it easy enough.

Sod doing that, unless the children actually seeks you out themselves, I used to teach for a while and what I found almost 100% of the time was that if a parent sought you out to teach their child they where really after a babysitter, where as if the child sought you you out themselves they where actually interested in learning to play.

lloyd said:
    Fuck me I'm tired. Due to a combination of my inability to look after money in an adult manner, no overtime this year as yet, my job not paying me quite enough, booking 2 million holidays this year and my selfish so called mate getting married and having a stag do in Hamburg I've had to bite the bullet and get back behind the bar and pull a few shifts a week.

First one was last night, started at 5pm finished at 2am after doing an 8am-4pm shift in my day job. I'm back in later probably till 4am. 

Apart from selling drugs and/or male prostitution anyone got any easier ways to make a few quid on the side?
    @lloyd

I'd go with the slinging dope or male prostitution myself, who knows KY might even give you bulk order discount.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    Dalefty said:
    Hertz32 said:

Sod doing that, unless the children actually seeks you out themselves, I used to teach for a while and what I found almost 100% of the time was that if a parent sought you out to teach their child they where really after a babysitter, where as if the child sought you you out themselves they where actually interested in learning to play.

DaLefty
    Very, very true. although when you do get a talented one that applies themselves it's extremely rewarding. My other job is music, between teaching adults in the evenings, recording and gigging work I make enough to make a difference and keep me in gear :)
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited March 2015
    Very, very true. although when you do get a talented one that applies themselves it's extremely rewarding. My other job is music, between teaching adults in the evenings, recording and gigging work I make enough to make a difference and keep me in gear :)
    There is nothig better than being able to support yourself and make a living through your hobby, I'm so glad I never had to resort to my 'fall back career', not that there is anything wrong with it, I just don't enjoy it as much as music, and that I did and still do make a decent living from something I still really enjoy and that still puts a smile on my face, even when working with the most annoying prima donnas and dumb fucks - like christian death metal bands yes such an animal exists.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'd like to make a living through my hobby, but there's not much money in being fisted.
    My V key is broken
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    holnrew;574604" said:
    I'd like to make a living through my hobby, but there's not much money in being fisted.
    I could do that in one of my very many 'car park ciggy cup of tea' breaks.

You'd have to pay me though. I can bring gloves however. We have them for blood n stuff.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    And I do have large hands.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    holnrew said:

Is there not? Well, I never!

Have you thought about writing for a stand-up comedian?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I had a lucrative side job last year doing photoshop retouching at what I thought was an obscene hourly rate ( in a good way ). I had to give it up, but it put quite a few grand in the GAS fund!
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    If you know loads of bar men / managers, any chance you could convince them to put you on with a few mates as a functions band? Even pub / bar gigs end up paying £50 each at least usually (based on 4 people). If you could secure one or 2 regular gigs with them it all starts adding up and its probably the same amount you'd get from most bar shifts but not as late and much more fun!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    I used to  think I could make money off my hobby (guitar) but I seriously doubt it. We get £20 a gig right now, the gear isn't exactly cheap... 
    ash96;574812" said:
    If you know loads of bar men / managers, any chance you could convince them to put you on with a few mates as a functions band? Even pub / bar gigs end up paying £50 each at least usually (based on 4 people). If you could secure one or 2 regular gigs with them it all starts adding up and its probably the same amount you'd get from most bar shifts but not as late and much more fun!

I gig quite regular with my other band so that takes up time writing, rehearsing etc....I'm not in the market for a covers band at the minute but maybe one day....it would take more money to set something like this up before it started paying and I need the cash now to be honest...the bars I know people in aren't pibs that have bands on, more cocktail wankery and food unfortunately....

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    I perform magic for extra money. And because I love it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I perform magic for extra money. And because I love it.
    And it's a good way to kidnap the kids' mothers.
    My V key is broken