JCM 900 info, any love for em?? Which are the best models??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344

I've seen a few jcm900's for sale locally, for great prices.

I've ever owned one, or played one for years, although my marshall of choice is a 2104 jmp combo.

Any love for em???Which are the decent models??!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17670
    tFB Trader
    I quite like them, but lots of people don't 

Rather like Blackstar HT they have some solid state clipping in the preamps which gives them a characteristic sound. 
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I bought a 900 ages ago after using (and loving) 800's for years, thinking "It's one hundred better, innit?"

Hated it with a passion!  After a while though, I stopped treating it like a 'classic Marshall' and approached it as a new amp entirely, and with a bit of fiddling some really nice tones came out.  Half tempted to pick one up again, as they seem to be going for ridiculously cheap prices at the moment.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11636
    tFB Trader
    The SLX stands out as a good choice as it has an extra tube gain stage rather than diode clipping I belive

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    The SLX stands out as a good choice as it has an extra tube gain stage rather than diode clipping I belive
    Yes. The SL-X is definitely the best model.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    SL-X and also the High Gain Master Volume one is quite good too.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The guitarist in my old band had an SLX which he changed for a JCM800 because the 800 is supposed to be better but I always preferred the more hi gain of the 900. The 800 needs a bit of help before it really gets modern levels of heavy I think so I totally get why marshall added that extra clipping (I don't care about solid state vs tube clipping so long as it sounds good).

I've played some shit 900s too though.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I had a dual reverb model years ago. It was horrible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    edited March 2015
    I've got a the hi gain dual reverb model; had it for years. Martin mjw made a few tweaks to the tone stacks to shift some of the harshness, concerted it to el34s and added a p/i master volume and its a total monster if you want straight up ballsy rock n roll! Classic marshall with modern (ish) gain levels... Clean channel makes for a lovely crunch too

Using a jvm or a deluxe reverb (both to be replaced shortly by an MJW Orion :D) for functions nowadays but I'll never sell that amp, still nice to wheel it out for loud rock gigs!
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I had a couple of Dual Reverbs in the 90's which were alright but bought a JCM2000 DSL When they came out and found it much better. The DSL is not as thin and buzzy, I ended up with an EQ in the loop of the DR to get it sounding anything like I wanted. The Mk3 or SLX are the ones to go for in the 900 range, Marshall should do a reissue....
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I thought I'd look at some shootouts to see what I thought of this version differences thing. To me it sounds like the slx is way nicer and bolder than the dual reverb, so myth confirmed I guess
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11636
    tFB Trader
    With the dual reverbs I read that the clipping occurs too soon in the circuit and sounds harsh and thin as a result . 
    Whether the circuit could be tweaked to make it much more pleasant sounding is another question for an amp tech

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I have the 2x12  dual reverb model and can confirm that it does indeed sound crap. No real tone at either end of the spectrum, and just a flabby rock tone in the middle.

On the upside, it has been working now for 20 years with the same valves in it, and I run my Duotone into it for some extra low end grunt. It does ok at that.

With the dual reverbs I read that the clipping occurs too soon in the circuit and sounds harsh and thin as a result . 
    Whether the circuit could be tweaked to make it much more pleasant sounding is another question for an amp tech
    Essentially the Dual Reverbs consist of two pedal-like solid-state circuits with IC op-amp gain stages and solid-state diode clipping at the start of the signal path, a 'Tube Screamer-like' one on the rhythm channel and a 'DS1-like' one on the lead channel, which produce most of the distortion. There are then alternating valve and solid state stages throughout the preamp.

It's a very good definition of a hybrid amp, in fact. I'm not opposed to that as such, but I do think it's partly responsible for the thin and buzzy sound of these amps, because it just isn't done very well.

The High Gain Master Volume is much more valve, although it does use diodes (driven by a valve stage) for the distortion. The SL-X does away with this and uses an extra valve.

Even the SL-X is not quite all-valve, but the remaining IC stages (FX loop send/return which are always in the signal path, and master volume control) don't really contribute to the sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The slx is the only one I've tried, and I liked it. It was a bit (only a bit) buzzy sounding, bit a good low, medium and high gain amp. That's pretty great in my books!

• Thinking of selling my 50watter el34 slx.. What's a fair price for them these days?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm a big fan of 900s, I even used one when I played download fest in 2013.
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    I have a JCM900 1X12 Combo which is great so long as you don't want a clean sound. Had it about 20 years and it just had it's 4th set of valves and first serious repair. My lads like it for their Death Metal band. There is no reverb on it but the FX loop is way better than the DSL 401 or the Jet City 50 head.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I've had 2 4502's (50w 2×12 dual reverbs) 1st one for alomst 10yrs...liked it but rarely used the dirt channel. Sold it when I got my dsl50 half stack...preferred that all round. Then spotted another 4502 in crack converters for £150 so had to get that. ..just to sell on and double my money which I more than did on ebay...but I ended up keeping it a few months cos it surprised me at how much better than the 1st one it sounded...no idea if it'd been modded as I can't explain how or why it sounded so mixh better but it did......
    siraxeman said:
    I've had 2 4502's (50w 2×12 dual reverbs) 1st one for alomst 10yrs...liked it but rarely used the dirt channel. Sold it when I got my dsl50 half stack...preferred that all round. Then spotted another 4502 in crack converters for £150 so had to get that. ..just to sell on and double my money which I more than did on ebay...but I ended up keeping it a few months cos it surprised me at how much better than the 1st one it sounded...no idea if it'd been modded as I can't explain how or why it sounded so mixh better but it did...…
    EL34 vs 5881 models? They did both - first EL34, then 5881, then back to EL34, due to good modern-production EL34s being unavailable for a while in the mid-90s.

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Actually I could do with a 1x12 combo ....!