Got ripped off today

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
I was in a shop buying something today and due to a moment's lack of attention, had a ten pound note nicked off the counter in front of me by the shop assistant. I know she did it, she must know that I know she did it, but she also knows that I can't prove she did it.

Frustrating and annoying.

I suggested calling the police in case it then mysteriously turned up on the floor the other side of the counter or something, but just got stonewalled.

Grrrr.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9806
    CCTV in shop? Then ask for the manager.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Really?? That's crazy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    HAL9000 said:
    CCTV in shop? Then ask for the manager.
    I did. He apparently went and looked at it, then said that whatever happened wasn't visible, and refused to let me see the TV - said only the police could demand access. I guessed that if I'd bothered, it would have either genuinely not been visible or she would have claimed to have put it down somewhere when she went to get the discs I'd bought and 'forgotten'. Either way it would have taken ages and I really didn't have time. The pair of them just stonewalled me at that point.

How else do you explain a tenner disappearing from a counter when only I was standing my side of it and only she was standing her side of it? I suspect she knew full well that it wouldn't be visible, either that or the two of them were in on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Aren't you in Glasgow? Don't you all have knives or was her's bigger? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Seriously though, thats rubbish. I would have called a manager. She would have shit herself even if nothing got followed through and it might make her think twice about doing it again. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'd've raised the roof. And the manager. And had the Police out. May 'only' be a tenner, but it's your tenner.

That said, me hand's always on me cash until it's needed. I sorta trust nowt. Sad, but true.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Buy some Ukrainian ammunition and a machine gun and go back and slaughter them all.  It's your only option, it's gone too far now.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2015
    I thought this was going to be a thread about (ADMIN EDIT: see here), serial scammer and all-round cad. Just shows you how wrong you can be, eh?

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I'd have said fine when he refused to let you see and called the police there and then. I'd also rain bad publicity on them.
    I just lost a tenner buying some fags for the nextdoor neighbour if it makes you feel any better.
    jd0272 said:
    I'd've raised the roof. And the manager. And had the Police out. May 'only' be a tenner, but it's your tenner.
    I reckoned it was a hiding to nothing unless it could be proved, and from her (and his) attitude I suspect they knew it couldn't be. How do you prove you've handed over something that you've no longer got? Even if it was found somewhere, how would I prove it was my tenner? I'd also have probably been waiting a long time for the police, as I imagine that the alleged disappearance of a tenner in a shop is not exactly a top priority.

jd0272 said:
    That said, me hand's always on me cash until it's needed. I sorta trust nowt. Sad, but true.
    I normally do too.

I know, there are much worse things that happen, I just felt like having a bit of a rant :).

I had the similar thing happen in 99p stores.  You can't raise the roof in 99p stores.  I mean, for one thing, no one understands you.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    You can do a freedom of information CCTV request for the footage, IIRC it costs £10 though! I'll bet that the CCTV now mysteriously has an error...

What kind of shop was it? Local independent? Big chain?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    As Tommy Cooper once said: "it's not the principle, it's the money"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Niallmo said:
    I'll bet that the CCTV now mysteriously has an error...
    I thought that as well. Basically just wasn't worth wasting my time any more, even though I knew they were getting away with it.

Niallmo said:
    What kind of shop was it? Local independent? Big chain?
    The kind of chain store where you generally expect the thieves to be in front of the counter rather than behind it :).

• RolandRoland Frets: 8823
    edited March 2015
    If it's a chain then it's worth ringing the area manager because what you've experienced is collusion between shop manager and staff. They may have suspicions of other fraud already, in which case this would be one more nail.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    ICBM;574666" said:
    jd0272 said:

I reckoned it was a hiding to nothing unless it could be proved, and from her (and his) attitude I suspect they knew it couldn't be. How do you prove you've handed over something that you've no longer got? Even if it was found somewhere, how would I prove it was my tenner? I'd also have probably been waiting a long time for the police, as I imagine that the alleged disappearance of a tenner in a shop is not exactly a top priority.

jd0272 said:That said, me hand's always on me cash until it's needed. I sorta trust nowt. Sad, but true.

I normally do too.

I know, there are much worse things that happen, I just felt like having a bit of a rant :).

Yeah I know. There are more pressing things, but you know what, sometimes it is worth standing back and saying "Fuck it, I'm not having this...".

Re Police, aye, it's not a murder enquiry, but they know when they're dealing with someone who's got better things to be doing with their time than fuck about in a shop cause they've not got a telly at home. I'd've been fucking livid. Still.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Are you 100000% sure. I've done something similar before and been really Sure I had some dollar pilfered only to find it a few days laters.

If not , sorry you got shafted fella.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    You can request to view cctv under data protection. You must submit your request in writing to whoever deals with data protection for that business. They can blur out footage not relevant to you like other customers faces but not staff.

You'd end up waiting a few weeks and like someone else said there will probably be 'an error' of some sort but you're well within your rights to do so.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If you're still feeling strongly about it and want to get it off your chest, you could always e-mail the MD or the Chief Exec if they have one.