Got ripped off today

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2418
    On that basis that you're a 100% certain she took it, then in this instance you were well within your rights to go into Jack Bauer mode.  A paid shop assistant that has the temerity to thief a customers £10 note under their nose deserves to feel a mans wrath.  I'd be making an official complaint about it.  If she's done it to you, she'll only do it to others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Petty theft is the most irritating thing. I've been scammed for £200 and I've been scammed for £30 and the thirty quid annoys me more because the guy wot done it lied to my face about it wheras the £200 was a j collingwood type situation where I never met him.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    Who's j collingwood?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a "subject access request" under the Freedom of Information Act. Companies recording digital media (phonecalls, video, etc) are required to comply by the office of the Data Commissioner. Failure to comply can incur sizeable fines.

"Lost" data is where they'd get their cop-out most likely if you tried though. "Honest Guv, the hard drive broke!" or "The server went down and took all that week's recordings with it" are common excuses.

Data Commissioner's office rarely get involved unless it's against large organisations I'm afraid :(
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Are you 100000% sure. I've done something similar before and been really Sure I had some dollar pilfered only to find it a few days laters.

If not , sorry you got shafted fella.

Yes, that sure. At the beginning I wasn't certain I hadn't somehow picked it up again, so I went through my wallet, pockets, bag, the floor area around me, the cases of the games I'd bought, under the mat on the counter, clothes, everything - I didn't quite strip-search myself, but not far off... jacket off and shaken, shirt out. No tenner, and the woman even admitted it had been there, but could/would not account for where it had gone.

At that point they were just stonewalling and wouldn't either accept they had it or let me look at the TV, and I doubted it would be possible to prove it had been taken. I didn't have enough time to waste to hang around waiting for the police unfortunately, or I might have done.

Roland said:
    If it's a chain then it's worth ringing the area manager because what you've experienced is collusion between shop manager and staff. They may have suspicions of other fraud already, in which case this would be one more nail.
    Maybe, but without proof - and if it was caught on the CCTV I would guarantee the mysterious fault will have occurred by now - I can't see it's any more than my word against that of one - possibly two - of their staff.

Funnily enough I was just talking the other day to someone about how I'd watched someone do 'magic' close-up, and how even fairly basic conjouring skills would allow you to do something like that in full view of the victim, but I didn't expect it to be proved so quickly...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited December 2015
    viz said:
    Who's j collingwood?

(ADMIN EDIT: see here)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    I worked in security if the shop has a head office email there security dept they will send in a security officer and investigate the matter

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    For a tenner you're probably right now to call the police - they'd probably take a dim view of it. Must be bloody annoying though - I'd have said straight to the person's face they did it! Cheeky sods!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5022
    Twitter might be the most effective way. Tweet the company and see how quickly they deal with it.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    I went into my local co-op a few years ago with a bunch of lottery tickets and asked for the young 'lady' behind the counter to check to see if I'd won anything. 
     She scanned all the tickets, about six or seven in total and said, that she was sorry but there were no winners and should she bin the tickets.
    I was fairly convinced that I had at least a tenner on one of them, so I declined her kind offer to dispose of them and took them down to a local Asda instead.
    When the person checked them there, lo and behold, I'd won not one, but two tenners!

Moral of this story.... erm.... Not sure, but don't trust people you don't know where money is involved!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thomasross20 said:

Must be bloody annoying though - I'd have said straight to the person's face they did it!
    I came very close, but since I can't be certain I saw her take it, I was wary of accusing her of theft outright. I *think* she picked it up along with the games boxes when she went to get the discs, but I couldn't absolutely swear to it because I wasn't quite paying enough attention - that's what I meant by 'magic'. She knows I know she took it though, I only just stopped short.

The problem with calling the police - even at the time - is how do you prove it? If she knows it can't be seen on the CCTV - which is quite possible, if either she knows the way the counter is framed on the screen or knows the manager will have 'lost' the recording - then there's no proof other than my word that it was ever there at all... she could just deny she ever admitted it was. Two against one if the manager is in on it.

It's not as if there couldn't be another explanation either... aliens took it, it fell through a hole in the space-time continuum, a mouse ate it, a very small trained cockroach ran off with it, it spontaneously combusted, the possibilities are endless really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    ICBM said:
    Niallmo said:
    What kind of shop was it? Local independent? Big chain?
    The kind of chain store where you generally expect the thieves to be in front of the counter rather than behind it :).
    Ah! Lidl, I always pack heat, wear body armour and wear extra underwear when I visit my local Lidl.  I'm surprised they know what a tenner looks like ?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    And the moral is- Never ever shop at Jonathan Colingridge & Sons, Architectural Photography Supplies

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Have they got a website you can make an anonymous post on lol? 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    That's shit.

Go back and nick ten quid's worth of games?
    mellowsun said:
    Go back and nick ten quid's worth of games?
    I thought about simply walking out with the two I'd got and saying "I've paid for them, it's not my problem if you've hidden the money", but the trouble with that is that *they* then call the police and without a receipt, I wouldn't be able to prove it and they still win.

There comes a point when you just have to accept it and move on, no matter how infuriating it is, and just put it down to experience.

At least the kids are very happy with the games, so it wasn't an entire waste of time and money...

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Aren't you in Glasgow? Don't you all have knives or was her's bigger? 
    Her's was an assault rifle

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Go out at night armed with a spray can and write "THIEVING BASTARDS" on the shop front.