Juansolo's DIY pedal buildage thread (renamed)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I only understand about 10% of what i've just seen and read but the one thing i do understand is.........
    John, you're an Artist.

They all look incredible.

Mindblown.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Yep these look amazing - inside and out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 644
    Bloody hell, these look the mutts! Great quality builds and finishes. I'm still loving your Lunar Module Clone that I got in one of your recent clearouts.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1779
    Thanks guys.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    edited December 2014
    Once I have syccessfully relaunched my glittering career as a freelance and have some cash back in the GAS kitty I shall be joining @Gassage's posse and coming after you for a Gilmourizer MKII as well !

Just warning you, that's all ;-)
    LOL ;) I'll have to pressure Brian to do a run of Boost boards for it. It's been out of production for 6 months and what held this one back so long.

In the meantime, Have the Kitteh Cannon (I did post it elsewhere here):

I decided to make a multimuff (I was so tempted to put LeeLoo Dallas on it as all I can hear in my head is Moooltimuff). Anyhow, it's not got that, it's The Kitteh Cannon. A weapon loaded with some of the angriest muffs out there.

In here is an Ultrastoner MkII, the ultimate muff of stoner goodness, a TSM680 MkII, the ultimate muff of undiscovered awesomeness and an ICBM, because quite frankly, anything less would have sounded a little weak next to those two. They're all hooked together using Thomas' Ultimate Switch (relay based radio button stylie thing).
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sound files ?
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    Working on it ;)

Will be next year now though. Christmas doesn't half get in the way. One more to assemble on Fri/Sat and that'll be it for a few weeks.
    Got it done today.

Another mad Lovetone effect. LOADS of different sounds available from this. I even at one point had it as vocal as a Dipthonizer! With all the options it can be a little difficult to dial in. But given that, I still prefer it to a Mutron III.

Board is a Rissole from AlanP of the Madbean forum and rather excellent it is too.

• juansolo;449060" said:
    Got it done today.

Another mad Lovetone effect. LOADS of different sounds available from this. I even at one point had it as vocal as a Dipthonizer! With all the options it can be a little difficult to dial in. But given that, I still prefer it to a Mutron III.

Board is a Rissole from AlanP of the Madbean forum and rather excellent it is too.

http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/images/meatball-o.jpg

http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/images/meatball-i.jpg
    Is that an envelope filter?!

I'm on the lookout for a good one... For guitar and (especially) flea bass.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It is. Now when it comes to envelopes IMO it comes down to this: How easy it is to dial in, and how good it sounds. The Meatball and the Mutron III are the best sounding but can be real swines to dial in or indeed re-find awesome sound that you once had. My choice would always be the Mutron V. The best balance of awesome sounds, but it a doddle to get doing it's thang.
  • juansolo;449086" said:
    It is. Now when it comes to envelopes IMO it comes down to this: How easy it is to dial in, and how good it sounds. The Meatball and the Mutron III are the best sounding but can be real swines to dial in or indeed re-find awesome sound that you once had. My choice would always be the Mutron V. The best balance of awesome sounds, but it a doddle to get doing it's thang.
    Agreed.

I have a Qtron which I like (black midi box one, has Qtron + board so could be modded), but I can't trust ehx build quality. The jacks have plastic washers.

I didn't realise they existed!

So I tend not to use it. It's much better with guitar than bass. And it doesn't like high output pickups at all, the gain range is really for more vintage output... Maybe why it's not nice for bass.

I am considering a dod fx 25 but it has its haters...
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    there is noone tidier is there!
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    Pretty sure there are Mutron V boards still kicking around. I might be even be able to convince Pickdropper to part with a 1590A sized one... Though that would go in a multi rather than a 1590A... I really don't do them any more. Not since the incident.... ;)
  • Of all the pedals in the world I think the meatball is my most lusted after pedal but I really dont want to pay £800 for one. 

I think I finally know what I would like you to make for me John :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • frankus said:
    there is noone tidier is there!
    Agreed.  Having repaired countless pedals over the years these are some of the neatest put together.  When you consider that a lot (or most) are one off build so require individual planning it really is commendable.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Of all the pedals in the world I think the meatball is my most lusted after pedal but I really dont want to pay £800 for one. 

I think I finally know what I would like you to make for me John :-D
    Let me know when you're ready and I'll get a board from Alan. The only things I didn't put on this one were the expression pedal and and the additional unaffected out. Which could be added easily if you needed them. I couldn't see me using them so didn't bother.
    @gassage & @drbob

I've a couple of big builds to get done in the new year which will probably see be through Jan, but after that I could probably look to getting a couple of Gilmourizers done if you're still up for it. I've already found an alternative at Poodle for the Fatpants booster (EP Boost clone, I'll just add a vol to it) and everything else isn't a problem to get hold of (or I've already got it in a box of PCBs). Actually thinking about it, I'll need to get a pair of CE-2 boards and some MN3007s, That shouldn't be an issue.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    John

I'm cool with that as i type!

jfgw@me.com or facebook me.

James

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.