"Relicing"

What's Hot
This is not something i'm interested in doing myself at the moment, but how much does the service of getting your guitar beat up cost? I'm just a little intrigued if anything, i've had a little google search but nowhere openly shows prices.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    RayGun Relics
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @GrahamM is the guy responsible for Raygun Relics. I've bought two of his guitars second hand & think they're top notch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    Pretty expensive for a proper job. for most modern guitars you need to remove the current finish first. I've done 3 myself and it probably runs to about £80 - £100 for 'stuff'. Factor in professional labour and that goes up a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's the thread about Raygun Relics. (Mine are the Lemon Drop and TV Yellow SG Jr). http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/25093/raygun-relics-incredible-work#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • very cool, still no mention on price from what i can see though?
  • the reason i'm wondering if i have a squire jazzmaster that i like the idea of "wearing in" a bit
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    It'll be cheaper/easier to get a new body then, the Squier's poly won't age in the same way.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172

This is not something i'm interested in doing myself at the moment, but how much does the service of getting your guitar beat up cost? I'm just a little intrigued if anything, i've had a little google search but nowhere openly shows prices.
    Call it a fiver, just  fo t' tow rope guv.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Top of stairs, slide guitar down price: free
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    Cover your torso and arms in 800grit sandpaper, dont wash your hands and play the bejeezuz out of it for a week solid, preferably while walking round the house blindfolded.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    I really don't understand this obsession people have with 'relicing' or trying to make their guitars look older and more used than they really are, I try my best to keep my guitars in as good condition as possible while also using them daily, I even wear my belt over my left hip to avoid getting 'buckle rash' on the backs of any of my giutars.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Dalefty said:
    I really don't understand this obsession people have with 'relicing' or trying to make their guitars look older and more used than they really are, I try my best to keep my guitars in as good condition as possible while also using them daily, I even wear my belt over my left hip to avoid getting 'buckle rash' on the backs of any of my giutars.

DaLefty
    i like to keep mine clean but just make sure my top covers my belt when i play, i even have colour coded cleaning cloths for religous wipe downs after
  • EVERY time someone mentions relicing you can rely upon there being a slew of posts about.
    1- how pointless/distasteful it is
    2- offering amusing ways to achieve the desired effect.

Fair enough, you don't like it. No one is asking YOU to buy one.
    It's just another finish option: no more, no less. If the thread had been about getting a guitar painted blue, no one would have cared.

Personally, I find my two reliced guitars MUCH more comfortable to play than their mint condition equivalent- I tried both before buying & bought the ones I thoug I'd play most. (I've always hated poly in guitar necks & have sanded it off).
    If I could afford a vintage LP that had "genuine" wear, I'd love to buy it, provided it "spoke to me", but until then I've got something I'M happy with. Leaving more shiny guitars for those that want them.

(I'm not looking for an argument about this, I just find it bizarre that What someone else does with their own guitar generates this reaction).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    You can buy jeans that look brand new and you can buy jeans that look worn. Same with guitars. Where's the angst?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Chalky;575785" said:
    You can buy jeans that look brand new and you can buy jeans that look worn. Same with guitars. Where's the angst?
    Probably the same as when everyone freaks out at any deviation from conventional colours/designs/pickup combos. The Guitarists' Puritanical Society.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    I'm not really a relic fan - but the same honest wear analogy doesn't really cut it a lot of other situations.

Think of a classic car that's rusted to fuck and has a big dent/scrape down the side where a previous owners silly wife couldn't negotiate the drive. Honest wear and tear Guv, it's had a hard life and all the better for it - bollocks!

A wooden front door where the paint is pealing off having been exposed to driving rain and wind for 30 years, and the paint has worn through around the keyhole from thousands of locks and unlocks. Honest wear and tear Guv...

You wouldn't be happy with the above examples would you and certainly wouldn't deliberaty age to achieve the same aesthetics!

Each to their own (and I've been tempted myself in the past) but if you take a step back and take a logical view the whole relic finish fascination is absolute shite. But, some people like it and it's here to stay now.

It's created a mini industry in itself which is great. People are making money and delusional owners are getting what they want. No one gets hurt.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    edited March 2015
    Iamnobody said:
    I'm not really a relic fan - but the same honest wear analogy doesn't really cut it a lot of other situations.

Think of a classic car that's rusted to fuck and has a big dent/scrape down the side where a previous owners silly wife couldn't negotiate the drive. Honest wear and tear Guv, it's had a hard life and all the better for it - bollocks!

A wooden front door where the paint is pealing off having been exposed to driving rain and wind for 30 years, and the paint has worn through around the keyhole from thousands of locks and unlocks. Honest wear and tear Guv...

You wouldn't be happy with the above examples would you and certainly wouldn't deliberaty age to achieve the same aesthetics!

its funny, people do deliberately try to recreate the looks you mention, but very few would be happy with "genuine" wear on those items

I sometimes think its similar with guitars.  People like a certain type of wear they perceive as authentic, but real knocks and scrapes are a lot less predictable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11990
    tFB Trader
    We live in an age of 'shabby chic' furniture, distressed leather jackets, faded jeans, steampunk fashion ... all finish options, and down to personal choice. The more interesting question is why guitarists are so anally retentive and conservative, and even downright childish about those 'other guitarists choices?' 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    I hate "relicing" and now I'm in my 60's I've tried everything to reverse the effect from moisturising cream to a diet rich in vitamin e, but all to no avail. If anything, I seem to look more reliced as I get older. I can't understand it.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Iamnobody said:
    delusional owners are getting what they want. No one gets hurt.
    Their not delusional then are they :)