18V DRILL/DRIVER Recommendations

What's Hot

My house move is now getting quite close and thought of taking down and re-fitting many shelves / furniture etc is making me somewhat sweaty!

Can anyone recommend some good battery powered drills etc.

Budget around £100

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Makita.
     You want metal gears, they are engineered to last longer and good brands are likely to have batteries available past the end of this summer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been looking at the Makita ones and they have some good deals on at the moment.

Amazon, 18v, two batteries, large bit kit case etc for £113

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I've always had very good service from my DeWalt kit. If you hunt around you can get one of theirs for around that price.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Bish, bash, BOSCH!

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    Hitachi from screwfix
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Hitachi from screwfix
    I recently got a Hitachi drill/driver/hammer drill combi with two 18V LiOn batteries. It's fantastic, light enough but powerful and easily gets into the solid walls of my house. At the time I got mine Homebase had the best deal.

There are normally some good deals on DIY equipment over the easter weekend so you've picked the right time to get one!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I got a DeWalt cheaply from ScrewFix. It's a great bit of kit and charges in under 30 minutes.
  • Had few Makitas, Bosch and Dewalt.
    Makita is far better than all!
    The Purest and Clearest Noise Free Tone you can get out of your rig.
    imageimage
  • Theres an Hitachi one on screwfix for £99 with two batteries but cant find out if it has metal gears!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554

The cheap Makita's with the red batteries are shite, broke 2 of them just driving in plasterboard screws. By contrast I've had my Hitachi drill drivers for 8 years and still going strong despite the abuse I've given em

If your putting up shelves your gonna want a hammer drill driver to drill the walls for the plugs
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    For £100 I bought the Makita set with all the drill bits and two batteries perfect for DIY at a great price had mine 3 years it's done loads of stuff and buy it from screw fix and there are no issues if it goes wrong inside 12 months
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2015
    Makita are market leaders, but only the pro drills.  Next bet would be Hitachi, then Dewalt, then Bosch IMO.  Depends what you are using it for, professionally you want at least a Makita 456 or 456 or 480.  I've burnt out £350 Metabo 110V drills but these Makita's keep going.  Can't remember how many Bosch drills I've broken, mind they were the cheap ones.  Around the home for occasional use, even a Screwfix Erbauer will do.  The Erbauer's design hasn't changed internally since Ferm.  They have plastic gears, for what you use them for and the way they are geared, you are more likely to chew or snap a drill bit or driver bit than break any internals, but the cheap price brings with it shite batteries
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    As well as a hammer action drill - One of these will come in handy...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/29138/bosch-screwdriver

Very pleased with mine and only paid £20 IIRC.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    Wickes own brand drills are good. I've had one of their 24v ones for years and it's still going strong. They used to be made by Bosch but not sure if they still are.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited April 2015
    My favourite drills are

DeWalt
    Milwaukee
    Makita
    Bosch

If you are on a tight budget I would look at

Ryobi
    Worx

Also check the batteries for how many amps per hour they are, the more amps per hour the better the battery and drill.

DaLefty

Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested