Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Well.  I simply cannot believe that none of the illustrious members of The Fretboard have snapped up this bolt-on neck beauty for such a stunning price!

It's only £700 more than the brand new price, people...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Apologies.  Having just seen the latest news about the newest Gibson price rises, this guitar seems about on the money.

As you were.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    lol awarded -  I tried one of these many years ago and wouldn't have had it for free.   Someone is very deluded about what they have or hoping to find someone with an incorrect money/common sense ratio.
    Well, what about this bolt-on Epiphone Les Paul Special - relic'ed - a snip at £1599

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glenn-Frey-Eagles-Les-Paul-Tribute-Epiphone-custom-Relic-Seymour-Duncan-Pups-/301559905666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46365efd82

Am I missing something here?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    OMG these are godawful guitars.  Whatever his emergency is, I don't think he'll make it.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Rox said:
    Well, what about this bolt-on Epiphone Les Paul Special - relic'ed - a snip at £1599

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glenn-Frey-Eagles-Les-Paul-Tribute-Epiphone-custom-Relic-Seymour-Duncan-Pups-/301559905666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46365efd82

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bit bonkers. I've seen these relic'd epi's on fleabay for a while now and couldn't understand why they're so expensive. I wondered if I was also missing something but I think not. I mean, good luck to the bloke and all that, and there's probably a lot of effort gone into them (probably), but it's still a bloody epi!....
    And in the case of that one, it's an Epi you can pick up for under £80!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    edited April 2015
    rawk100 said:
    Rox said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bit bonkers. I've seen these relic'd epi's on fleabay for a while now and couldn't understand why they're so expensive. I wondered if I was also missing something but I think not. I mean, good luck to the bloke and all that, and there's probably a lot of effort gone into them (probably), but it's still a bloody epi!....
    Yes, but the original was some sort of cheap Japanese copy as well, so it's actually appropriate in this case.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think £1599 is a 'reasonable' price, but it's probably not *that* much too high if you're a big Glenn Frey fan (there must be at least one, although I doubt Don Felder is a member of that club… :) ) and want a replica of his guitar. There's a fair amount of research and work gone into it, at least - you're paying for the work to turn it into that, not what the guitar started out as.

And the original sounds amazing, from the recorded evidence.

I have to say that if it was me, I'd want to replace the Epiphone neckplate with an original 'Made In Japan' copy one though - they're not hard to find.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    Rox;38357" said:
    Just when you thought that Baldwin was an ultimate bargain...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=141600456617&alt=web

...how about a set of classy knobs to compliment this fantastic instrument? :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Even if there's been a huge amount of research, an Epi Special will cost you £80, not sure any amount of research and body work is worth the extra £1510...  :P

Heck, I think there are plenty of people who could do that work at a fraction of the cost.
    ICBM said:
    rawk100 said:
    Rox said:

Yes, but the original was some sort of cheap Japanese copy as well, so it's actually appropriate in this case.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think £1599 is a 'reasonable' price, but it's probably not *that* much too high if you're a big Glenn Frey fan (there must be at least one, although I doubt Don Felder is a member of that club… :) ) and want a replica of his guitar. There's a fair amount of research and work gone into it, at least - you're paying for the work to turn it into that, not what the guitar started out as.

I have to say that if it was me, I'd want to replace the Epiphone neckplate with an original 'Made In Japan' copy one though - they're not hard to find.

I guess there's always the chance that a big fan may see this and want it, but that's a bloody big chance. There again I'd applaud the fella if he flogged it for that price. The Frampton Epi replica he's also selling is £1699 though, again that seems over priced no matter how much effort has gone into the relic process.
    ICBM said:
    rawk100 said:
    Rox said:

I guess there's always the chance that a big fan may see this and want it, but that's a bloody big chance. There again I'd applaud the fella if he flogged it for that price. The Frampton Epi replica he's also selling is £1699 though, again that seems over priced no matter how much effort has gone into the relic process.
    edited April 2015
    Yes, I think it's overpriced - just not as silly as it first appears when you see "Epiphone Junior for £1599".

The Frampton one is worse, because Frampton's original is a Gibson, not an Epi…

Although in both cases, the amount he's asking is consistent - £1500 plus the actual value of the guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Yes, I think it's overpriced - just not as silly as it first appears when you see "Epiphone Junior for £1599".
    With all due respect, it is though... you can put lipstick on a pig... it's still a pig.
    Rox said:
    ICBM said:
    With all due respect, it is though... you can put lipstick on a pig... it's still a pig.
    That's true, but Frey's guitar does sound absolutely amazing and it started life as something very similar, so I can see the value in making a replica of it.

And the original really is a bolt-on cheapo, you can clearly see it in pics:

Although that does reveal that the knobs on the "replica" are in completely the wrong place, so I will concede the point :D.

ICBM said:
    Rox said:
    ICBM said:
    That's true, but Frey's guitar does sound absolutely amazing and it started life as something very similar, so I can see the value in making a replica of it.

And the original really is a bolt-on cheapo, you can clearly see it in pics:

Although that does reveal that the knobs on the "replica" are in completely the wrong place, so I will concede the point :D.
    That's what £1520 worth of research gets you.  :D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rox said:
    That's what £1520 worth of research gets you.  :D
    lol

I should have checked first before I tried to defend it :). I knew something didn't look quite right about the knobs as soon as I saw it, but for some reason I didn't realise it was that they were in the wrong place ;).

A valiant effort though, @ICBM ; :)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    rawk100;585297" said:
    ICBM said:

rawk100 said:

Rox said:

I don't like the guys prices or his small print! If you read it you 'might' not get the guitar shown in the pics, it could take a long time to ship to you and he doesn't accept returns...

Previously known as stevebrum