Searching this forum

I don't seem to be able to get the search function to do anything useful. Is there some voodoo that I'm missing?

I remember a while ago people were posting the songs they do in their covers bands and I wanted to find it.

I searched for "set list" "song list" "sex on fire" which must be in there of course and covers but couldn't find it. It also seems to ignore anything in quotes and just looks for the individual words. 

Anyone know how it works and even better where I can find the thread.

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I searched for threads I've posted before with almost the whole title and not found anything. I think the search engine is broken
    Just checked - "End-Of-Bed type telly recommendations" is a post on page two or three of this forum... it isn't picked up by the search feature.

This isn't really new on forums, there's a lot of them out there was less-than-perfect search engines that seem to miss stuff
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Try searching for bohemian ;)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I did... first hit was here
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Haha!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    slight hi-jack,  how does one include  more than one word as a specific phrase, - Ive tried " "  and &   etc    but they doonie work

:(
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    The default Vanilla search function just isn't great I'm afraid. An alternative is on the development list but we have limited resources...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    What about hiring a small child (ideally an idiot savant!) with a photographic memory to read the forum 24/7 and the search dialogue would simply be a chat window with them?
    Also if the dev team is listening - with the mouseover on thread titles, can we get a preview like what some other forums (and MR) have (had)? Would be nice to have the first few lines without needing to click on a thread
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Myranda said:
    Also if the dev team is listening - with the mouseover on thread titles, can we get a preview like what some other forums (and MR) have (had)? Would be nice to have the first few lines without needing to click on a thread
    Implemented but only on the "Discussions" page for now (mouse over the eye icon). :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    searching for just one key word seems to work okay, you just can't confuse it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    It's not a proper search engine. 
    There is a plugin for vanilla using Sphinx which is supposedly much better, but I can't get it to work.

It's on the list. 
    ddlooping said:
    Myranda said:
    Implemented but only on the "Discussions" page for now (mouse over the eye icon). :)
    sweet!
    There is a plugin for vanilla using Sphinx which is supposedly much better, but I can't get it to work.

It's on the list. 
    Makes sense to make the bulk of the forum to work and be perfect long before touching stuff like search facilities.
  • Myranda said:

It's on the list. 
    Makes sense to make the bulk of the forum to work and be perfect long before touching stuff like search facilities.
    For what it's worth, I've spent a good couple of weeks trying to get the search plugins to work, to no avail. We may end up being forced to write one ourselves :(
    <space for hire>