Vintage radius strat/jm neck? And hosco nut files?

I've got my warmoth jazzmaster body, which I'm going to sand and refinish, and rewire the scratchplate. I'm much better at all of those things now!

However, the neck for it is 9.5 inch. I want a proper jazzmaster bridge on it with 7.25 inch radius, so is there anywhere that sells cbs style strat necks with rosewood board and vintage radius cheaply? Cheaper is better here, as I'm not planning on making it the absolute best guitar, just a more playable one than it was. And rosewood board will mean I can choose a different, cooler colour :)

Also, are hosco nut files any good? Thinking of getting a set...

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    you know you can set a Jazzmaster bridge to any radius you like?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • meltedbuzzbox;585823" said:
    you know you can set a Jazzmaster bridge to any radius you like?
    Bugger, was thinking of a mustang bridge!

That said, I'd rather have a jazzmaster bridge anyway so that's useful to know. I still want a rosewood board, though, so any big headstock necks out there for me on the cheap? I could do a trade with someone for a 9.5 inch radius one piece flamed maple strat neck with gold gotoh kluson tuners... I think I'll stick with a vintage radius neck though, just for a change of my usual.
    if you wanted to go ala mustang staytrem do a 9.5" bridge and obviously if you are feeling flush there is the mastery option. 

Northwest guitars do a spec your own neck service. @JookyChap might be able to suggest somewhere else for necks. You even have @GSPBasses that might have something?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I don't think @gspbasses does them to order anymore sadly. I think he just puts stuff in the classifieds, but if he did I'd be on it like a rocket.

I'll try northwest again, but it took them about 6 weeks to quote me last time! By which point I'd bought a gspbasses neck... I did forget they existed though.

I think I might try a staytrem at 9.5 inch radius actually. As soon as the neck is ordered, I'll get one.

You're a big fan... Is there anywhere to get a good *custom* tort guard? If not, I might have to go for an off white or mint green from warmoth (I'm going to do it in shell pink).
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748

Also, are hosco nut files any good? Thinking of getting a set...

Cheers!
    The last time this came up @FelineGuitars said Hosco were fine http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/2996/nut-files, though I think he actually uses stewmac. I've got a hosco electric set and they're certainly well made. Contrast to the cheap ebay sets is marked. Crimson guitars seem to have made a gauge-set style nut file tool recently, don't know if anyone here has tried it yet (and whether it's actually the notched feeler gauge trick or real files, though having tried some of their other tools it's probably well made).
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Hosco nut files are very good :)
  • Fabby. Files en route, chaps :)
  • Where'd you get the files from. Was thinking of investing in a set...
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1704
    I bought a set of cheap nut files on ebay a while back - big mistake, you really do get what you pay for. Took delivery of a Hosco set this morning - they are great, well worth the money.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Hosco files are great, but be prepared to buy a different 0.010 file as its way too flexible, Stewmac used to sell a single sided one with a reinforced spine
    ThePrettyDamned;585861" said:
    I don't think @gspbasses does them to order anymore sadly. I think he just puts stuff in the classifieds, but if he did I'd be on it like a rocket.

I'll try northwest again, but it took them about 6 weeks to quote me last time! By which point I'd bought a gspbasses neck... I did forget they existed though.

I think I might try a staytrem at 9.5 inch radius actually. As soon as the neck is ordered, I'll get one.

You're a big fan... Is there anywhere to get a good *custom* tort guard? If not, I might have to go for an off white or mint green from warmoth (I'm going to do it in shell pink).
    Spitfire is the man to go to for a proper vintage looking tort guard. It is pricey though
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    I bought a set of the hosco double-sided files (10-46), but I sent them back as they cut the slots hopelessly oversize. They were just unusable.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

I got a set of these a little while ago...

http://www.guitarsupplies.nl/index.php?item=ibanez_uo-chikyu-nut-file-set_-8-pcs&action=article&group_id=10000023&aid=678&lang=en

Only used them to tweak the nut on my Lemon Drop, but they seemed to work really well. Fit the existing slots and cut quite quickly. They're gauged and have two cutting edges (I plan to use one side for bone and plastic, and the other for brass.) I got that set mainly because it has a larger one at the thick end which suits the bottom E for my lap steel project. I'm thinking of seeing if I can track down some more in bass guitar sizes.

The prices are in euros, and delivery to the UK is on the higher end at 15 euros, and he charges an extra 3% or so if you pay by PayPal. However, his prices are pretty good, and the shipping is next day if he has them in stock (worth sending an email to check first). I bought a bunch of other stuff at the same time, so the additional costs weren't too much of a bother, and well worth it for next day shipping from Netherlands to UK (Edinburgh in my case).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...