How much to have a body rerouted?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
There's a guy selling an Ibanez FX edge bridge on facebook and I'm wondering whether it's feasable to reroute the body for it? It would be going from a string thru hipshot esque bridge to effectively a floating floyd route.
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited April 2015
    'Awibble'
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    This is one of those fabled 'Buy A Router And Have A Stab At It' moments.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I would if I had the space! And if it wasnt my Agile 8 string! Love it too much to be amateurish over it
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:
    I would if I had the space! And if it wasnt my Agile 8 string! Love it too much to be amateurish over it
    Oh it's only amateurish if you place the router jig in the wrong place, and routers don't take up much room, no more than a pair of hip trainers chap!   :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    depends on a few factors, not impossible but not the sort of job I normally take on willingly :)
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Make a simple jig and do it yourself, you'll probably find for the cost of getting somebody else to do it for you that you can buy all the tools you need to make a jig, or actually buy an acrylic jig off of Amazon - I've seen jigs for most styles of bridges made of acrylic for sale on there for cheap, as well as a decent router or Dremel with all the fancy bits and plunge router attachment and have change.  Screwfix is one place that sells cheap and cheerful routers, and next day postage is about a fiver I think.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Alright then! If the string spacing turns out the same between the two bridges then I'll go for it. Should be okay as long as I dont rush, measure twice cut once etc. Normally they use a locking nut, but the nut is too narrow for my guitar so I'll have to make do... Might swap out my tuners for some better Schaller ones while I'm at it too.
    'Awibble'
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    edited April 2015
    Do it yourself. You're more than welcome to borrow my plunge router (portable) if you can get over to Epping in Essex (on the tube) and pick it up from my Mum's place. It's not so hard to use.
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Hertz32 said:
    Alright then! If the string spacing turns out the same between the two bridges then I'll go for it. Should be okay as long as I dont rush, measure twice cut once etc. Normally they use a locking nut, but the nut is too narrow for my guitar so I'll have to make do... Might swap out my tuners for some better Schaller ones while I'm at it too.

Practice on some scrap wood first, and have a look here for templates:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_gnr_fkmr0?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aguitar+templates&keywords=guitar+templates&ie=UTF8&qid=1428351184

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    I have a bad feeling about this...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I have a bad feeling about this...
    same here

mainly because of this

Hertz32 said:

I would practise a load on wood scraps as Dalefty suggests, and try and get a template + measurements wherever possible. I would rather someone professional did it though, I dont trust myself not to screw it up either really
    'Awibble'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    To back that up I should admit that when I was much younger I ruined my original Aria RS Standard by routing the body for a couple of different trem systems and a guitar synth controller among other mods, and although I made a reasonable job of it, it was never the same. I eventually sold the parts and spent the best part of fifteen years looking for a replacement one, which I finally found a couple of years ago.

No matter how well you do it, it will never be the same guitar - you simply can't remove wood like that without changing it, in an unpredictable way - and unless you've practiced extensively on other projects you're unlikely to do it all that well either. It's not a simple thing to get right at the first attempt.

If you want a guitar with a Floyd, buy a guitar with a Floyd...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    It isnt a floyd though, it's a fixed bridge thats got a route out the body like one. It's basically a blocked floyd functionally, with fine tuners and clamp blocks.
    'Awibble'
    ICBM said:

... or make a guitar with a floyd

if your agile is a bolt on neck it makes much more sense to make a whole new body for the new trem than destroy the original.   

If you can route a floyd, you can make a guitar body.... and the opposite also applies, if you can;t make a guitar body you should not be trying to route for a floyd

also the bolt on neck would allow you to do more with the neck angle to get the best floyd set-up.   if you are planning to do this to a fixed neck neck (set or through) you are constrained by the existing neck angle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5149
    edited April 2015
    Hertz32 said:
    It isnt a floyd though, it's a fixed bridge thats got a route out the body like one. It's basically a blocked floyd functionally, with fine tuners and clamp blocks.
    Not sure what the benefit would be if that's the case, I thought you were looking at a wobbly Edge 8, á la:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/blog/tonymacalpine.jpg

Better machineheads would seem to be a more elegant solution?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    ICBM said:
    To back that up I should admit that when I was much younger I ruined my original Aria RS Standard by routing the body for a couple of different trem systems and a guitar synth controller among other mods, and although I made a reasonable job of it, it was never the same. I eventually sold the parts and spent the best part of fifteen years looking for a replacement one, which I finally found a couple of years ago.

No matter how well you do it, it will never be the same guitar - you simply can't remove wood like that without changing it, in an unpredictable way - and unless you've practiced extensively on other projects you're unlikely to do it all that well either. It's not a simple thing to get right at the first attempt.

But, you then had the opportunity to have the experience of learning something first hand 'in your time'. Not that I'm suggesting he drops a knacker, just worth a (albeit canny complex I'd think?) go. I'm quite reckless though.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Why do I want (need) this bridge, is what I'd be asking myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Loobs said:
    Why do I want (need) this bridge, is what I'd be asking myself.

Improved intonation range and fine tuners really.
    'Awibble'
    Probably easier to improve the tuners as littlegreenman suggests. Currently have those tiny grover rotomatics, what would i need to do to fit some schallers?
    'Awibble'