Bit of a gauche question.....

What's Hot
.....but what is the going rate for an electro acoustic guitar to have new nut and saddle fitted, then intonation check? I've been 'quoted' £40!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    About right. Bone nut crafted and fitted on a Tele neck £25.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    sounds right to me, although it is worth pointing out that the intonation check should be part of fitting a new saddle, not an extra
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    That's about right, cutting a new nut is a fairly skilled and time consuming job and makes a huge difference to tone and playability if done properly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar is playing well. Top e string has concerned me for a while. Sounds sharp as I go up the fretboard. Chromatic tuner shows that it's about 8 cents sharp at the 12th fret. I can kinda live with this as I try to play it as an acoustic.....playing all of my chords in the first 5 frets or so...... But I know that it should be 'fixed'. The action is great for me. Any way that I can sort this out apart from a £40 nut and saddle job?
  • What is going on? Is there a 'guitar fairy' that has visited the Abbot household in the last 10 days? Got the previously mentioned leccie acoustic out of it's case...tuned up...and...well...maybe...possibly that pesky top e string is playing in tune! Sounding better to my ear....and corroborated with my chromatic tuner...I bashed out Eagles and The Pretenders songs with gay abandon. I even checked with the wife....and no...she hadn't taken my pride and joy to a local luthier recently for a new nut/saddle/intonation set up. What the deuce has happened to my Tanglewood since I put it in it's case with forlorn dejection?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Sounds OK to me. I don't think the inference is that intonation is an extra charge, it's just a case of letting a customer know everything that is being taken care of.