BT Call Minder

.... is no longer to be a free service. So I'm looking at going back to an answerphone. The corded telephone I'm using now is actually an old Binatone answerphone  but the recording device packed up years ago and I just use it as a telephone.

have seen some on amazon, and frankly they're not that cheap. some of the corded phones with answerphone also won't work as just a telephone if there's a power cut whereas at least my old Binatone jobby does that. Some user reports suggest that the audio quality on some products leaves a lot to be desired which if true would rule them out as my ears require loud & clear input before I hear what people are saying to me

does anyone have/know of a corded telephone with answerphone that will drop back under powercut conditions to just being an ordinary telephone and which has decent audio quality?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
     Keep the old one plugged in in case of power cuts?
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
     Keep the old one plugged in in case of power cuts?
    Well, yes, probably just keep it and plug it in if there's a power cut (possibly can't leave it in all the time because of RENs) but leave it next to where it needs to be plugged in so the job can be done pronto
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2343
    The answer phone on bt is still free isn't it?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    IIRC they charge you for it if you don't make enough calls. 
  • If it's like mine, you need to make two calls in any billing period...or they charge you £4...however, the calls may be free ones if you've got one of them 'evenings and weekends' deals.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    (possibly can't leave it in all the time because of RENs) 
    crikey,  how many phones have you got ?  most modern phones have pretty low REN these days - we've had 4 on before with no problems
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Just don't get a Philips phone, they are shite for sound quality. Siemens or Panasonic are much better.
  • fanx @boogieman btw who retails these things in a shop these days? looking at the spec online is all very well but that doesn't always answer all the questions
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    John Lewis do them I think.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    boogieman said:
    Just don't get a Philips phone, they are shite for sound quality. Siemens or Panasonic are much better.
    yep - we've had most makes over the years,  had Philps before and they are indeed, rubbish.  got a Panasonic right now - its very good.  Siemens (dont they have another name too?) are great, but were a little £££  for what we required
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Current phone is a Panasonic answerphone, seems ok.