New Gear Alert: Vox AC10C1

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4213
Well this sounds lovely, a 10-watt, master volume, 10-inch equipped AC-alike for $449.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22366-vox-introduces-the-ac10c1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Ooh, I like

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4213
    Funnily enough, you and @DrBob were the first two I thought of when I saw the spec!
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It could fit nicely in the midst of my Lil Night Train - AC15 - something else - AC30 recurring loop of a dream...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    Clips sound very nice. It looks simple, small, light and good value. Colour me curious.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    edited April 2015
    I've been waiting for them to do this for a while. I always thought an AC10 would be great, moreso for the smaller size/weight. VX10 speaker though, hmm would need to be swapped out. It suggests a reasonable price point though.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27517
    Spec definitely interests me, but concern it'll be low quality construction in an MDF box with a cheap speaker like the AC15C1.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    L
    stickyfiddle;589228" said:
    Spec definitely interests me, but concern it'll be low quality construction in an MDF box with a cheap speaker like the AC15C1.
    Agreed, I wish they'd charge £100 more and put a decent speaker in a decent cab. Speaker can be changed easily and cheaply enough though.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9723

Only 2 ECC83s and a Top Boost stage, so that must mean a solid state phase splitter?

Also, 2x EL84 power stage and a 10" speaker. So it runs cooler than an AC15 and will sound more boxy.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    No cut control - always bothers me when Vox release Top boost circuits with no cut control at the end, as it's such a powerful and useful control. But since it depends on a phase inverter to work, maybe this amp is 2xel84s in parallel class A?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72903
    Could be either a full TB channel and a cathodyne phase inverter, or a TB channel without the cathode follower and a LTP PI. Either would allow TB and push-pull from only two preamp valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2481
    Sounds quite nice, although I wonder if it gets flubby and undefined with humbuckers, even the strat neck pickup was sounding quite loose there 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    MDF cabs are always off-putting to me too @stickyfiddle, but they work well for some uses and the AC15C1s sound pretty great regardless to my ears? The AC15HW1x is substantially "better" though!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2481
    UK price seems to be £359.

For that price it's a nice amp and there's not much competition that I can see, the Laney VC15 1x10 and the Marshall DSL5C 1x10 are about it.

It's about £120 cheaper than an AC15 which is probably just enough to set it apart.
    If it were £320 though it would be a positive bargain. For £350, for a single channel amp with no switchable gain or anything I'd like to see a G10 Greenback in it though, which would set it apart from the competition and also tie it in more with the rest of the current Vox range.

The last thing I need is another classic British voiced amplifier though so although I'll likely try one out if I can find a local stockist, I'm unlikely to buy..
    Ooh, the used prices will be lovely then! :D
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    If that is the best VOX can do as an official video then it sounds utter sh1te...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27517
    Well at that price I'll probably try one eventually, possibly with a blue speaker in it. 

Cos this sounds great

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds great to me, really looking forward to trying these now :)
    Itching to play these now:

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    sounds nice, liked the SG as well ... but can you get a clean sound from a 335 through it at any volume above whisper?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself